Carter B&B: The worst carburetor ever made?! Discuss...

wagoneer

1 hour ago, rallyace said:

Having been a British car guy before getting into Mopars, this thread is like reading about how horrible the SU carburetors are. It is all in how how you take the time to understand them and make sure they are properly set up. I rebuilt SU carbs according to the book and, when you make sure the shafts are properly bushed and the jets are correct and properly centered they work flawlessly.  My BB experience is limited but when I did rebuild mine I made sure the shafts were not worn, the cover and body were flat and true, and I set the float lower than spec to compensate for today's fuels which are less dense than the fuels of 70 years ago.  I have not had any issues with the BB carb on my car and it is, in my opinion after 8,500 miles, a set and forget device.

I used to run a 1-3/4 inch SU on my chopped 40 Harley knucklehead,and neve had any trouble with it. Bike had .060 over 10 to 1 panhead pistons in it,Chevy valves in the head,and a complete 38 Knucklehad factory "Lightening" racing valve train. With the solo seat and a peanut tank,that thing would FLY!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, Loren said:

My all time favorite carburetor for just about anything is a Bendix-Stromberg WW.

Plymouth put them on a two barrel manifold on the 54 and got 7 more hp.

They are bigger and more refined than a 97 but use the same jets and some small parts and are not as tall.

Some of the folks here have that manifold and carburetor and no one has anything bad to say about them.

I've bought several brand new on eBay and pay about $150 for them.

So you pays your money and takes your choice.

Like this? Still has the 65 yr old patina. Seems a little pricey...  55-56 Bendix Stromberg WW

That is silly over pricing!

I've bought brand new ones for around $75. $125 is more like it.

To get two exactly the same I've had to buy three brand new ones.

I don't mind because I've used so many and have a good collection of parts.

I bought one brand new one that had the Overdrive switch bracket and the throttle lever to engage the switch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've rebuilt my b and b three times.  New throttle rod bushings new choke rod bushings and I still have to run the mixture screw almost all the way in to  get  it to idle. I think I have a massive vacuum leak somewhere.  Dammed if I can find it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 11:21 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I didn't change anything on the 2bbl I installed from Langdon's. Runs just fine as is.  Maybe have 100 HP now?

@plymouthcranbrook Did you go with the manual choke or the electric choke for the langdon weber 32/36?

I'd like an electric choke, but Langdon's says it takes 12 volts intake. Might consider a 6v->12v inline converter.