48 DeSoto clutch linkage question

MarcDeSoto

Marc, there is a procedure for this as I recall.

Loosely install one bolt of the big spring bracket. Assembly all other linkages and then swing the spring bracket into place to install 2nd bolt on the frame. 

The one linkages part that pushes the clutch fork can wait.  Back that adjustment off and put it in place last , then adjust.

I think that was how I did this.

OH, Does that mean that the pin does not go through the shaft that holds the pedals?  It looks like there's a hole in the shaft, but I don't remember seeing that.  If that's true, why do they show a cotter pin right below that nut and bolt?  (6-50-1)

Edited by MarcDeSoto

We might be talking about two different pins, I was talking about 5-60-1, I think you are talking about 6-43-8, which I did not see.  Not sure what it's doing.  maybe we need to see the same exploded diagram for the brake pedal parts to sort it out?

Looks like it (pin 6-43-8) goes through the hole in the master cylinder and through the shaft to hold it centered in place and to keep it from rotating in the master cylinder. Could be that the replacement master cylinder does not have the hole in it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 61spit said:

Looks like it (pin 6-43-8) goes through the hole in the master cylinder and through the shaft to hold it centered in place and to keep it from rotating in the master cylinder. Could be that the replacement master cylinder does not have the hole in it.

By jove, I think you have it.