46 Plymouth Clutch & Brake Pedal Pivot Pin

tanner

Replacing the master cylinder in my 46.  The pivot pin seems attached to the master cylinder and resists all efforts to remove it.  Don't want to mushroom the end with a hammer.  Are they pressed in and out?  After 73 years could mine be rusted in place?  Anyone have a suggestion for removing the pivot pin without involving a heavy hammer?  

When I replaced the master cylinder in my 49 chrysler I had the same issue. I had to take the old master cylinder to a shop and they pressed the pin out and then reinstalled it in the new master cylinder. I remember thinking why in the heck couldn't the new master cylinder come with the mounting pin already in place? It's probably a 2 dollar piece of steel. It's frustrating when a simple job morphs into a trip to a machine shop

Thanks for responding.  I have the mc in a vise trying penetrating oil around the pin.  FYI, the $2 pin is now a $75 pin if you can find them on line.  Searched for it in case things went from bad to worse. Most likely I'm headed to a shop with a press if the penetrating oil doesn't loosen the pin.  I usually cap things like this with a thick walled impact socket to hammer on.  A deep socket will fit against the collar maybe start movement.  Holding the mc in place to hammer is the challenge.

Thanks for the help.

11 hours ago, tanner said:

Replacing the master cylinder in my 46.  The pivot pin seems attached to the master cylinder and resists all efforts to remove it.  Don't want to mushroom the end with a hammer.  Are they pressed in and out?  After 73 years could mine be rusted in place?  Anyone have a suggestion for removing the pivot pin without involving a heavy hammer?  

Hammer to fit; paint to match.

Tanner, 

I did the same thing with a vise and used a socket to beat on. I finally gave up out of fear of damaging or breaking the pin/master cylinder. The shop used a hydraulic press to press the pin out. I took quite a bit of pressure to get it to move. The other issue is reinstalling it into the new master cylinder. It took quite a bit of pressure to press it back in place. Only took them 10 minutes and they didn't charge me because for them it was a small job. But for me it was a huge relief. Maybe sometimes they can be knocked out with a vise, punch and big hammer but in my case and probably yours it's well worth taking it to a shop where they have a press that can do the job safely and easily. It worked for me.

Jeff