1953 Dodge B-4-HMA (COE)

DansCOE

Hello Everyone,

I have a unique opportunity to trade one of my vehicles for a Dodge B-4-HMA COE that I jumped on.  I'm driving it 100 miles from northern AZ to phoenix next weekend.  Honk if you see me or pull over if I'm broken down... haha.

I have been trying to find information about the B-series COE's but I haven't really found much other than old service manuals and brochures. So this post is two fold, one to introduce myself and maybe see if anyone has any information on these trucks they can share.

I know it needs weather stripping, and a door window is cracked.  I'm hoping the COE cabs are identical to a regular 1/2 or 1 ton cab and I can swap the glass and get a weather stripping kit, but I found a post that might suggest otherwise?  I can't find it now...  It's also missing the "Job Rated" grill insert, if someone has one they want to sell, please PM me!  Over all, I'm really excited to pick up my truck on Saturday, and take it on it's maiden voyage.

00l0l_3e2Wv47B0jU_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome Dan! I like it a lot. More photos when you get it home.

What are the plans for it?

From the part manual, I would guess the glass to be the same....you may have already seen http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/ph_parts/b_23.pdf

but, like Merle said flat glass can be duplicated.

Are you only running one rear wheel on both sides?

safe travels,

Brent

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

Welcome Dan! I like it a lot. More photos when you get it home.

What are the plans for it?

From the part manual, I would guess the glass to be the same....you may have already seen http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/ph_parts/b_23.pdf

but, like Merle said flat glass can be duplicated.

Are you only running one rear wheel on both sides?

safe travels,

Brent

that’s good to know about the glass.   Plans are to keep it stock, and get everything working and reliable. I’m gonna use it to haul on occasion. Eventually I’ll paint it green which I think was the original color.  I’ll definitely send more pictures!

Welcome!  Another COE owner! YAH!

Tee center Job Rated grill piece can be found on epay....just know right now people think they are worth their weight in diamonds.

15 hours ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

Nice truck! Do you know what it has for a drive train yet?

So the guy I'm getting it from thinks it's a 218 flathead inline 6.  It's an inline 6 for sure, but I'm not sure about the displacement, I think it's bigger.  Transmission is a 5 speed, first is a granny gear.  It has a 2 speed rear-end.  I'm not sure if the two-speed rear end works or not he says the vacuum line isn't connected.  It drove fine in whatever gear the rear end is in.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

Welcome!  Another COE owner! YAH!

Tee center Job Rated grill piece can be found on epay....just know right now people think they are worth their weight in diamonds.

Nice! Do you have a job-rated b-series?  The one I have is the only one I've ever seen.  I've been watching ebay for the grill piece, the only one I've seen on there is a globe and doesn't say "job rated", I'll keep looking.  

Yah, I have a 51 COE that is the project after the current project (see pic).  Just keep watching for the badge....they show up.  Just know you have to be careful of the mounting tabs to not be cracked/broken/missing.   And you will likely pay a pile of money, years ago they'd go for $40....now they can climb into the hundreds.  Depending on year they can be stamped steel or cast "pot metal".

2015-09-13 09.45.05.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DansCOE said:

So the guy I'm getting it from thinks it's a 218 flathead inline 6.  It's an inline 6 for sure, but I'm not sure about the displacement, I think it's bigger.  Transmission is a 5 speed, first is a granny gear.  It has a 2 speed rear-end.  I'm not sure if the two-speed rear end works or not he says the vacuum line isn't connected.  It drove fine in whatever gear the rear end is in.

you’ll be disappointed if it has a 218, nowhere near enough displacement to power that truck.  much more likely to be either a 265 or 251.  not monsters, but they’ll move the truck down the road with a load just fine.

the 2-speed rear is well worth having in working condition if you plan on hauling anything.  if you only plan to drive it around, it isn’t as important, but it’s still nice to have.

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Yah, I have a 51 COE that is the project after the current project (see pic).  

2015-09-13 09.45.05.jpg

I can just hear it, I’ll bet when you talk about your COE outside this forum, you tell people, “ yea, I’ve hauled a “CAT” on the back before” ?

I am with Wallytoo, i’d Be surprised if it is 218 Dan, and from the photo i’d Guess 152” WB? 

• Like 3

That B-4-HMA should have a 250 ci engine in it from the factory.

I think it’s all original, so a 250.  I’ll find out once I get it down the weekend.

you all have some great Trucks!

it’s a 161 wheelbase.  Also I have both dually wheels in the back, they just weren’t on in the picture.

Edited by DansCOE