Removing bell housing

Mertz

Got the engine out of the 40 Plymouth truck and tried to remove the bell housing. I removed the pan and backing plate and 6 bell housing bolts. I have tapped  on it with a hammer and it won’t come loose. Am I missing a bolt or 2?  I removed 2 on top that hold the throttle linkage 2 on the side on the upper part and 2 on the sides on the lower part that holds the backing plate. 

Problem number 2. 

Since my engine is covered with years of dirt and oil I had to dig for the location of the bolts but used my other engine to get an idea where they should be. Once I found them I noticed that the bolt pattern on the original engine to the bell housing is different than on the engine going in. It has the starter on top and the bolts are closer together. Looks like I might need an adapter. Is there one available?

Good news. I found some info on this site about the aligning pins. When I was cleaning the area I found 2 bolts I had missed. It came off without a hitch. The pressure plate, flywheel and clutch disc all look good. No rust and a nice even surface. A few chipped flywheel teeth. I think I’ll find out how to check the pressure on the pressure plate and if good will reuse it. New clutch disc and throw out bearing for sure. 

77850911-9073-4A13-8A86-2C7C015B1332.jpeg

4DF5E7E7-5CCD-4D99-91B7-671B54047C84.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...