Lets talk seats.

Los_Control

Anyone use these? Looks a little cheesy to me, same time I like the dual purpose and I have limited room to use/store 2 separate tools.

So I think I will pull the trigger and order one .... Just wonder if others did the same and regret it?

My project is kinda stalled right now, with my back it is very difficult to do the work under the cab that is needed & move forward. So I have been pouring concrete so I can get a creeper to roll around on.  Yes concrete is especially fun with a bad back.

The creeper is sorta mandatory, while the seat is optional but see it as very useful.

s-l1600.jpg

Obviously you'll need a lot more clearance on that than on a normal creeper, but it also looks a LOT more comfortable, and a lot easier to get up off of.  The thing about my creeper is that the casters at the bottom end are set up toward the middle of the 'bed' enough that if I get up like doing a sit-up, the creeper will flip up at the top, and I generally have my fingers under the sides... OUCH!  I've been meaning to put some rubber stoppers/feet on the extreme lower edge, raised just enough that they won't drag on the floor, so that when I raise up like that, it will prevent the pinched fingers plus prevent the creeper from scooting across the floor right then. 

As far as having the seat; Sure, it's nice to have it as a single piece, but I just have an old office chair with the back taken off.

Edited by Eneto-55

never have need for a creeper, hate using them...you go to wrenching and you pushing yourself away long before the wrench turns the bolt/nut.  I do have a couple of the stools on casters...they I find as handy as back pockets....the seat position does look a bit light in constructions....I could be wrong....

It looks nice just not sure I would use it much. Creeper always seemed like more work than good for me. I open and save cardboard boxes if decent in size to lay flat on the ground and they seemed to be less trouble if I need to be under the cars. Easy to slide on an off of and clean too.  Rolling chair works but most times I prefer the 5 gallon bucket. 

If you do pick it up maybe grab some fire blanket in the event your doing some welding or grinding since that black cover could probably use some protection from those elements.

I have one similar and use it more as a chair than a creeper.   I find it, 5 gal buckets and rolling chairs to be too short for me and the casters difficult to keep fastened tight to the frame and too light duty.  Most of the casters on creepers don't seem to be any better so I'd suggest considering upgrading the casters with some that are larger diameter and heavier duty.  I keep cardboard around too especially for use outside on grass or gravel.

Dad has one of these and it is ok but seems kinda wobbly / not sturdy.  The casters do well on smooth concrete, but sidewalk finish is another story.  I have found that clean cardboard works nicely to slide around on...snagging refrigerator boxes and boxes for assembled furniture (desks especially) works kinda good, with the additional benefit that if ya have your tools piled on the cardboard under the truck, you can slide out from underneath, then slide the cardboard out, grab your pile of tools and go ?

Edited by JBNeal

I use cardboard, too, but like the creeper for some types of work.  (Like to keep cardboard in the trunk in case of roadside work.) Talking about "just sliding under the car" reminds me of doing repairs on my car outside up in Minnesota during the winter.  No need for even cardboard - just slide in on top of the snow.  And the ground was so cold that the snow wouldn't even melt into my heavy coat.  Now wrenching with mitts on is also quite a challenge.

I hoped this was going to be a cool discussion about Mopar valve seats!

How smart the Chrysler engineers were.

Stellite seats. Lead addictive and zinc! How approaching 100 years later we still don’t need to add lead. 

Oh well. Back to regular scheduled programming.  

I wear coveralls and lay on the cold cement floor. At what average age can I expect that to start bothering me? I have a wheeled stool with a tool tray. A gift that I was given probably 10 years ago. Its still taking up space in my garage. I never use it. I’m just now realizing its time to get rid if it. It just gets pushed out of where I’m going. Must have 5,000 miles on the wheels with zero seat time. 

Edited by keithb7

17 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Rolling chair works but most times I prefer the 5 gallon bucket. 

I used to use home depot buckets for years until they started abusing my legs and hindquarters with the sharp rim on the bottom of the bucket so I bought one of those hunting/fishing buckets with the padded seat and I tell ya it is the difference between night and day!

Edited by Frank Elder

I have one like that. It's perfect for me as a seat. I use it that way a lot. As a creeper, not so much. I have lower back pain, and getting up from laying directly on the garage floor hurts a lot less that getting up from that thing.

Pete

Really seems to be a preference, either you like them or hate them.

I remember hating them, yeah the wheels were in the wrong place awkward to get on & off them. They would always get stuck on a pebble or a tool .... pia!

I always chose to not use them in the past, easier to just lay on the concrete and get the job done and then get out from under there.

I am dealing with a awkward situation, uneven ground. I am permanently disabled with a bad back,  I did lay under there and get the front frame finished. Will be a lot more time under the cab then the front. Just hoping the creeper will help. Just being a flat surface it did help when I fixed the u-joint in my chebby.

I went ahead and ordered it yesterday .... wife talked me into it  :)

Poor way to do it, only way I can get it done by myself. The kids at the lumber yard load up 10 bags, I park my wheel barrow under the tailgate, drag a bag forward and empty it in, mix it with a hoe, dump it out .... no lifting. Up & down a few times to finish it ... And I wont be able to move for 2 days. Then pour another 10 bags and repeat  :D  Took a week & 1/2 to pour the 30 bags in the center. Now still need to do the sides. If it bothers me, I may clean it all up and paint it gray ... might look better if all one color.

1211201333a.jpg

My boys bought me a steel frame creeper with an adjustable head rest.  I hadn't had one in years as they are a real pain getting on one.  Anyhow I was in the stage of going all around and tightening bolts and nuts under my near finished '37 Chevy.  I got under the car and adjusted the headrest and tightened every visible bolt especially on the dual exhaust.

Pretty neat riding around under there.  I finished and pushed all the tools to the side.  I, then, grabbed a muffler and gave myself a ride to the back.  It went well until my forehead smacked the differential housing full blast.

Make a note to lower the head rest before sailing out from under a car

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and I thought 3 hours was rough doing this job.....I feel your pain.....

IMG_3845.JPG

100% correct ... Nice job looks great. 3 hours is about right ...  with a truck about 25 min to pour it ... a few hours to finish it. I honestly could not finish that today, while I have done it in the past. Today it would setup on me and lose it.     But I can do 10 bags at a time! :P

I can still get er did, just aint got er done yet. .... may explain while my progress on truck is so slow. I like @lonejacklarryadvise, I may need to wear my hardhat under the truck ... maybe bring "my pillow" with me. Take a afternoon nap while under there. ;)

I think the creeper will be a great help to me, see how it goes.

I've never used a creeper/seat combo - but I do find creepers handy. I have one that gets used frequently. Also since I work on a lot of late model trucks - I have a top side creeper that is fantastic for working in a large engine bay without laying on the hood latch and every other uneven surface under the hood to reach what you are working on. 

Best seat I have in the shop for work is an old steel milk stool with a stamped sheet metal tractor seat bolted to the top of it. It seems to always be the right height for most of what I work on, and the tractor seat swivels easily with the single bolt holding it to the milk stool. 

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

100% correct ... Nice job looks great. 3 hours is about right ...  with a truck about 25 min to pour it ... a few hours to finish it. I honestly could not finish that today, while I have done it in the past. Today it would setup on me and lose it.     But I can do 10 bags at a time! :P

I can still get er did, just aint got er done yet. .... may explain while my progress on truck is so slow. I like @lonejacklarryadvise, I may need to wear my hardhat under the truck ... maybe bring "my pillow" with me. Take a afternoon nap while under there. ;)

I think the creeper will be a great help to me, see how it goes.

truck....what truck.....that was mixed at home by myself and my son...you can catch a glimpse of my mixer in this shot.....been around some 35+ years....still a lot of sand and gravel to lift into the hopper...each half is approx 19 loads....

IMG_3881.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

50 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

truck....what truck.....that was mixed at home by myself and my son...you can catch a glimpse of my mixer in this shot.....been around some 35+ years....still a lot of sand and gravel to lift into the hopper...each half is approx 19 loads....

IMG_3881.JPG

I think I have that same mixer, but with smaller wheels.   I don't remember how old it is, but it came from Montgomery Ward and was used when I first used it in the mid 80s.  Really a well made mixer.

I bought this one end of 2019 when it was a deal of the day. I do use it more as a chair than creeper but it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFZPNC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_zddJJhuTpyIv5

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

I think I have that same mixer, but with smaller wheels.   I don't remember how old it is, but it came from Montgomery Ward and was used when I first used it in the mid 80s.  Really a well made mixer.

Does your mixer have the tow bar and coupler for connecting to a trailer hitch....might be the difference in wheel size...this unit can be towed....I tow it only in the yard with the lawn tractor...if it goes to another site...it is in the trailer strapped down. 

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Does your mixer have the tow bar and coupler for connecting to a trailer hitch....might be the difference in wheel size...this unit can be towed....I tow it only in the yard with the lawn tractor...if it goes to another site...it is in the trailer strapped down. 

No, mine is not highway towable.  Only has a bar and hand grip for moving it around.  One of my projects for the future is to add a hitch and high speed wheels.  But, that has been a future project for many years.  Really low priority

• Thanks 1

I have had a folding creeper/seat for 20 plus years. 
i used to use it a lot. Until i got hurt at work, neck and back injury cause problems when i lay under a car. So i bought a hoist. I use the creeper occasionally,more for the seat than anything else. For outdoors i cut up a 250 gallon tote,the 3 foot by 4 foot piece works great. The ends have a slight curl so it slides up and over obstructions and tools stay on it when i drag it out. In the snow it slides easy,and it wont soak up whatever gets spilled on it. Easy to clean too. Being white, it reflects light quite nicely too. 

Up until recently I didn't sit while working.  Now, as a concession to age, I upend a 5 gallon bucket and have some old foam pads I use to sit on.

Sturdy, cheap and functional enough for me.. 

Edited by Sniper

On 2/5/2021 at 4:58 PM, Los_Control said:

.... Take a afternoon nap while under there. ;)

Ha Ha.  I thought I was probably the only one who ever woke up laying under a car....  (And I don't drink, either.  I was just so tired that I fell asleep.)

But I don't normally sit to work, either.  I've always preferred to work on the floor, often using my feet to help hold something.  Once when I was working for a building contractor the boss gave me a job to do where I needed to do an additional cut by hand on a short board.  He laughed when he saw me squatted on top of the board on the saw horses to do the cut.  Most people can't even squat flat footed w/o falling over backwards, but I still can at 65, and my grandpa was the same - probably got it from him.

Edited by Eneto-55

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Most people can't even squat flat footed w/o falling over backwards, but I still can at 65,

Until I got a couple of new hips I couldn't tie shoes or put on socks without an aid. Now get both done easily but can't squat like that. Hard case watching my grandkids do that every time they pick something up though........we all could once I suppose.

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

He laughed when he saw me squatted on top of the board on the saw horses to do the cut. 

Now, in my mind, that would look amusing too....?