Swap Options

Mister B

As stated in my new member intro, I just purchased a 1948 Dodge D24 sedan. Have not had a chance to really give a good run since the old bias tires are shot. Plan to buy new ones soon and give it good shake down run, to evaluate the overall shape of the engine,trans and rear axle, steering etc. Gonna do fluid check or changes as needed before doing so. Now on that note, what if the flat 6 is well worn and in need of a rebuild?  This the first flat head equipped vehicle I have ever owned, so I know little to nothing about them.

Best case scenario, all systems are a go, needing only slight maintenance, which I hope is the case!  But one never knows what to expect from a  70+ year old ride. Now onto the "not so bright side".  The engine needs a complete rebuild, trans wont shift as it should, rear end is noisy, etc!

Now on to why I'm actually asking this! I see options for installing a 318 and other engines and trans into these cars. Even Chevy 350s have been mentioned. I have yet to see the mention of using a small block Ford as an option. Just wondering why that is! Is the Ford swap a no no in a Mopar? I just happen to have a 70 model 302, (fully rebuilt), and C4 trans that I kept when I sold a project vehicle, because buyer was going to use a big block. Not to upset the Mopar purist, but I don't see the Ford being any different or difficult than A Chevy if going to a V8 swap. Fab work for engine and trans mounts will be needed either way, right? Plus, a Granada or Maverick rear axle will have the same bolt pattern.

I'm a firm believer in using what you have on hand instead of spending cash to but something else. Just wanted some feed back from you all on this, in the event I needed, or decided, to do a swap to a V8.  F1 shock mounts, Aerostar springs, Explorer rear ends seem to be acceptable, (also from Ford), so why not the Ford drive train?

Please reply with your thoughts and no offense will be taken, as none was intended!

I think and this is a guess is that the front sump on the 302 oil pan will foul the steering linkages.  I know you can get rear sump oil pans for the Mopars and Chevys.  Not too sure about the Windsor though.  All the stock Windsor pans I have seen, even the ones called a rear sump pan, have a front sump of some capacity.  But I make no claim as to being a Ford expert.

Back in the 1970's it was a common thing when using a small block Frod in say an early Frod to use a Bronco sump as from memory they have a rear sump pan with more clearance...........as for using a Frod in a Mopar there are a couple of good points about a Frod small block........the narrowness helps the installation and their front mounted distributor aids in firewall clearance..........so if thats what you have and its your car so why not use it.........as with any late model engine swap there will be lots of other issues but by all means go for it.........just do a good job and finish it.........many engine swaps don't get finished and the project gets pushed back behind the shed to rust away...............BTW.........Welcome Aboard from Oztralia....and nothing offends me.........My 1940 Dodge has had a 318 Poly in it since 1973........just make sure you get the job finished and back on the road................Andy Douglas

• Like 1

Thanks to you all for the comments. Gonna get some new tires on the old girl so I can safely get her out on the road and see how she does. I do like the fact that the flat 6 would stand out amongst a sea of V8s! However, it's all about condition, condition, condition!

20 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Any motor can be made to swap into any car. All depends on your fab skills and how bad you want to do the swap. 

I agree with allbizz49's statement. Being a semi-purist, there is something to be said about keeping it Mopar. IMO, too many Chevy's in all makes of street rods! I like to see Chevys in Chevys, Fords in Fords, and Mopars in Mopars. Just my opinion, but a Ford in a Mopar is just weird. Lols!  A nicely done flathead six is a strong reliable engine and a less complex project than the engine swap. My vote is keep it mostly stock and if you decide to go street rod, something like a 318 or vintage hemi would be cool. I agree with your frugality, but sometimes it bites you in the end. I imagine your car would have a higher value without a Ford engine under the hood? I think Frank Elder needs to way in on this.

Its your car, build it how you want. If the flathead goes in my Fargo,its getting whatever i can lay my hands on. I have a running 318/904 thats waiting to go in another project. Otherwise a 305 tbi is next in line. Efi and a 700r4 would be nice. 
302’s are good engines, just not everyone’s cup of tea. Its taking up space, why not put it to good use?  

• Like 1

To OP you posted this ideas/question on the HAMB.

You have had some good direction.

This is appropriate forum for you to get to know your D24.

Not sure you will find the support or guidance for a 302 swap here, but you never know.

Good luck with your quest...

Swap in a later Mustang oil pan and pick up tube for your clearance.  The 302 is a little engine with a front mount distributor, should be relatively straight forward.

As for a Ford in a Mopar?  I see it 2 ways, 1. It's better than a Chevy (everyone does that) and 2. I've swapped a few Mopars into Fords so I guess it's fitting :)

EDIT:  You are in the right place but there aren't as many active users here as the HAMB so you will get less feedback. 

Edited by Adam H P15 D30