Ladies and Gentlemen, the End of an Era...

ChrisMinelli

The electric vehicle world is well on the way. Look at the value of Tesla, fourth or fifth most valuable company in the world. I'm 71 so might possibly own an electric vehicle but my daughter and grandsons definitely will. If we are to take climate change seriously, this is one thing that needs to happen. Not being political, just realistic. Many countries, as well as the EU, have already set deadlines for the end of gas and diesel car sales.

GM would not go electric if it wasn't in  the company's interest. GM is making a serious educated guess/decision about vehicles of tomorrow and is planning to reap the rewards.

Edited by RobertKB

Couple thoughts...

Key to this is battery technology. Being able to recharge very quickly and no longer have range anxeity is the go/no go issue to success. Imagine a car that will do 0-60 in 3-4 seconds, recharge in 5 minutes and have a 500 mile range with zero emissions. Starts to become a compelling technology.  

Graphene batteries may be the next break through technology.

Tha following comic strip does not necessarily reflect the opinion of this forum member. ?

1765261923_ClimateScience.png.240e675fa1854f967887c7c568bcd166.png

• Haha 2

I can only think that huge rubber safety bumper was there NOT for your error in driving at high speed but if case you bruiser neighbor in his rolling American Iron tank backed into you.....DARE TO BE DIFFERENT...and that is different for sure.....love that hood scoop...that is what kept the hamsters alive....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

27 minutes ago, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

4 batteries in the front bumper and 6 more in the rear.

60 volt 6HP motor

I am looking to upgrade a solar system on a remote cabin and have noticed that Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFeP04) 12v (12.8v actually) with built in "battery management system" (BMS) are looking pretty nice for replacing the old lead-acid golf cart batteries. About three times the energy density. And a lot less fussy about charge and discharge rates too.

Won’t up your max speed or power but might give you quite a bit longer range than it originally had.

GM had the technology 25 years ago with a 300+ mile battery in that Evo car. Big oil wasn't ready for that, so the cars were crushed.  There's been others long before that.  So is Biden not in bed with big oil?  Hmmm...guess not.

Not to be political or anything, but, bold predictions for the future have not come true in my last 70 or so years, so, count me skeptical. Remember flying cars were predicted 60 years ago, that didn't happen. The one thing about electric cars that keeps getting ignored is the fossil fuel needed to charge the batteries. Since the libs are shutting down nuclear reactors, and oil and coal burners are on the way out, and wind and solar isn't doing the job, how will all those millions of batteries be charged w/o harming the environment?  There is a disconnect there in the logic. 

• Like 1

Is it ok to ask further questions here about the electric car? Is it ok to ask about the transfer of emissions away from the electric car to other industries? How about all the other industries related to the car industry and the tax base generated from fuel sales? I have tons of questions as I don't understand it all. Perhaps someone can explain a few things?  - K

Edited by keithb7

20 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Is it ok to ask further questions here about the electric car? Is it ok to ask about the transfer of emissions away from the electric car to other industries? How about all the other industries related to the car industry and the tax base generated from fuel sales? I have tons of questions as I don't understand it all. Perhaps someone can explain a few things?  - K

I think answering your questions would be worthwhile but I’m pretty sure things would veer to being political and the thread would get locked. Likely reason no responses so far to your questions. 

I know I hold strong views in this area and the forum managers would rightly reprove me as politics is not allowed. Message or email me if you want my views. 

Thanks for replying @RobertKB

That’s sort of what I figured. There’s often enough catalyst in threads on this topic to near start a war. I’ll leave it alone.

I work in the mining industry. I see what it takes to get resources out of the earth, and sent to market. I have opinions too about EVs based on my perspective. There’s no shortage of sensitive topics related to EVs. 

On 1/28/2021 at 6:49 PM, Worden18 said:

GM had the technology 25 years ago with a 300+ mile battery in that Evo car. Big oil wasn't ready for that, so the cars were crushed.  There's been others long before that.  So is Biden not in bed with big oil?  Hmmm...guess not.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:53 PM, Dodgeed said:

Not to be political or anything, but, bold predictions for the future have not come true in my last 70 or so years, so, count me skeptical. Remember flying cars were predicted 60 years ago, that didn't happen. The one thing about electric cars that keeps getting ignored is the fossil fuel needed to charge the batteries. Since the libs are shutting down nuclear reactors, and oil and coal burners are on the way out, and wind and solar isn't doing the job, how will all those millions of batteries be charged w/o harming the environment?  There is a disconnect there in the logic. 

No more political posts please.......I would like for this thread to expand and expound.

96B50FF3-991E-4FE6-B511-A3C7B6D5BC0A.jpeg.e401202b27835f197b606984efbba30e.jpeg
My decision to buy this was neither Political or Economical.

I like different things, my friend bought a Corvette and quickly noticed how many other “Old Guys” (his words) drove Corvettes. I guaranteed him that nobody else will pull up beside me in another one of these.

As new, it had 8 6 volt batteries and was supposed to go 50mph with a 50 mile radius. 
This one has been upgraded to 10 batteries and a PLC based speed controller.

I am still working with our Government Insurance on plates.

It spent the first 38 years of its life in Portland and then was brought into Canada by a Car enthusiast from Edmonton who sadly passed away shortly after purchasing it.

Good buy on your 1980 Commutacar....Coincidentally, My wife and I also bought a car at the same vehicle auction....Wife  was looking over my shoulder as I was looking at the cars up for auction .She spotted one of the cars at auction and said,"That's cute,I like that car".... I'll blame it both on the covid virus and confinement, damned if we didn't have the winning bid....We now own a little English London Taxi Cab with a Perkins 4 Cylinder Diesel.I picked the car up in less than ideal winter weather conditions and brought it home on my trailer ...another project now filling the garage space..?

Edited by T120

2 hours ago, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

96B50FF3-991E-4FE6-B511-A3C7B6D5BC0A.jpeg.e401202b27835f197b606984efbba30e.jpeg
My decision to buy this was neither Political or Economical.

I like different things, my friend bought a Corvette and quickly noticed how many other “Old Guys” (his words) drove Corvettes. I guaranteed him that nobody else will pull up beside me in another one of these.

As new, it had 8 6 volt batteries and was supposed to go 50mph with a 50 mile radius. 
This one has been upgraded to 10 batteries and a PLC based speed controller.

I am still working with our Government Insurance on plates.

It spent the first 38 years of its life in Portland and then was brought into Canada by a Car enthusiast from Edmonton who sadly passed away shortly after purchasing it.

That's one hellava good looking car!?

10 hours ago, T120 said:

Good buy on your 1980 Commutacar....Coincidentally, My wife and I also bought a car at the same vehicle auction....Wife  was looking over my shoulder as I was looking at the cars up for auction .She spotted one of the cars at auction and said,"That's cute,I like that car".... I'll blame it both on the covid virus and confinement, damned if we didn't have the winning bid....We now own a little English London Taxi Cab with a Perkins 4 Cylinder Diesel.I picked the car up in less than ideal winter weather conditions and brought it home on my trailer ...another project now filling the garage space..?

Is it a Beardmore?

I think one of the biggest impediments to electric vehicles being widely viable is battery technology.  When I was still working, we were trying (and they still are) to get surveillance technology on remote stretches of the border.  It requires batteries, there is no "grid" within a hundred miles in some places.  There are none that can withstand extreme winter temperatures (a northern border issue).  All of the smart battery engineers refuse to speculate when batteries will be designed that will.  Companies like Tesla may have something in the works, but they aren't sharing.  But no one in Maine dares drive a Tesla north of Bangor during the winter. 

11 hours ago, T120 said:

He had a nice collection of cars and other stuff.

I got mine picked up, even last fall my work had us isolating for 2 weeks if we left Saskatchewan.