Engine removal tips

Mertz

The floor boards are out. Top panel screws came out with impact driver. The bottom panel 2 bolts had to be cut off. The pedals are soaking in acid to remove rust. 

I now have a clear view of the engine mounts.  It looks like if I remove the two back motor mount bolts I will trouble getting the motor past the frame rail. I probably will have trouble getting the bolts out through the rubber absorber anyway. Can I unbolt the bell housing or should I try to remove the 4 bolts that attach the bell housing to the motor mounts?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

"Can I unbolt the bell housing or should I try to remove the 4 bolts that attach the bell housing to the motor mounts?"

I have done it both ways. If you unbolt the bell housing from the engine there is less to pull out, but if the dog house is off it doesn't matter much, just threading through the frame.

Problem with unbolting the engine from the bell housing is that you are under the truck to pull the clutch and flywheel because engine won't pull away with them on. Transmission has to be off in both situations.

If you have the repair manual for your PU, it will tell you if you need to remove the front clip or not.  (Didn't look just now to confirm this, but I'm thinking that the 40 Plymouth CARS had to have the front clip removed.  But not for the P15s.)  But for many vehicles, you should only have to remove the hood, radiator & rad. support to be able to pull the engine with the bell housing attached.  (Personally, I'd a whole lot rather remove the clutch & fly wheel with the engine out, but if you have a lift, that could make a lot of difference.)

Only the cab is still on the frame with floor boards removed. It has a “floating power” front motor mount. It should pull out easily if I remove the 4 bolts from  the motor mount. If I can remove the 2 motor mount bolts I will still have trouble with the narrowing front frame. If I have enough room to turn it I might get it over the frame. 

Repair manual just says remove mounting CAB1BB77-3894-43CE-8746-8E9174B3147B.jpeg.65bd2b3e5a0419f94e0fea768d465cd7.jpegbolts. 

• Like 1

You may want to pull the bell housing with the engine, I know on mine I couldn’t get the flywheel off without a pile of difficulty from underneath, so I pulled it as one, less the transmission, but yes, those 4 bolts come out and it will definitely go.

on the trucks it’s way easier to pull the front grill and fenders off to remove, no way you’re pulling that engine straight up with the hood removed 

My spare engine is an industrial engine. The crank nut is a 1 11/16” socket but the original engine is a different size. I just tried a 1 3/4” socket and it is to small but it is the largest in the kit I just bought. Anyone know what size socket I need to remove the crank nut?  The original front motor mount is a floating power mount off the top of the timing chain cover but the industrial engine has a bottom mount so I want to change the covers to maintain the floating mount. I also need to get rid of an extra pulley on the new engine and install the original timing pulley   

The weather improved some so I was out working in the shop removing my gas pedal linkage. While there I thought I would see if I could loosen the motor mount bolts. Surprisingly enough they came loose. So I thought why not hook up the hoist and see if I can pull them out. Out they came and before I knew it the engine was out. Why are they called motor mounts?  Shouldn’t they be called engine mounts?20BE2D12-9BB3-4BDC-9724-8991F29AEB4D.jpeg.3539b07a4a040baa8d177bb8ea32f304.jpeg4C6375F8-55DC-4FBE-874E-DFDF7C4E275F.jpeg.c64fad1047d381a9bf5e616eee4cdc25.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mertz said:

Why are they called motor mounts?  Shouldn’t they be called engine mounts?

Good question.  When I was growing up I got "schooled" on the difference between a 'motor' and an 'engine'.  But it seems like it's been confused from way back.  Like calling it a "Motor Car'. ('Engine Car', anyone?)  Funny that no one ever switches them the other way, like "heater engine', or 'starter engine'.)

6 minutes ago, Mertz said:

Why are they called motor mounts?  Shouldn’t they be called engine mounts?

That has always been a pet peeve of mine,

I look at a motor being electrical and an engine combustion (fuel)

I know "TECHICALLY"  a motor can be an engine but I don't like it.   ?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, billrigsby said:

That has always been a pet peeve of mine,

I look at a motor being electrical and an engine combustion (fuel)

I know "TECHICALLY"  a motor can be an engine but I don't like it.   ?

I'm with you.

As I understand it, Editors at Websters study the language as it is used, and determine if a word, or word usage is included in their dictionary. 

Motor means "to move".......Engine is a metaphor. Its a hard pin down what the original use was intended for.....

let me use my "search engine"...oops, where's the pistons in my computer again??? 

Words change meaning, They evolve. For example: "Dashboard" vs. “instrument panel”.....a dash board was literally a panel on a carriage

to block debris from the trotting horses. The two are are interchangeable now.

"General Motors" might be "General Engines"...though they do have an Engineering Dept

"BMW" could be "BEW"...... German translation for “engine” is literally “motor” ....so its maybe both already.

In France, they have one word for both engine and motor....  “moteur”

Google Translate: "Motor: a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts."

"Mouse Motor"...eh, maybe not a good example.

....I'm not a "motorist"  anymore....I'm a "enginist" (hey, I like that one). Can't wait to tell the DEV (Dept of Engine Vehicles)

Not to mention Mopar should be changed to Enpar....

...guess I'll just keep "motoring on" using my own motor functions  to get there.

408ci

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Haha 1

Enjoying your tear-down/build Mertz......I have several different year trucks, among them a 1938 Humpback. 

Are you keeping the original power-plant, or upgrading to something modern? :D

48D

I’m keeping the truck as original as possible right down to using almost all the hardened steel fasteners. The “engine” will be replaced with an industrial version I got with the truck when I bought it. It is the same length and has been completely reworked including a 40 overbore. I’m trying to find out when it was built. Here is the engine number if anyone can decipher it. 21E3BB89-9AE9-4364-AF9F-F895EA9A0CC3.jpeg.62d15ab7a0573dfc13289371b395961d.jpeg

On 2/3/2021 at 10:27 AM, Mertz said:

...I’m trying to find out when it was built. Here is the engine number if anyone can decipher it. 21E3BB89-9AE9-4364-AF9F-F895EA9A0CC3.jpeg.62d15ab7a0573dfc13289371b395961d.jpeg

the engine block casting date is found below the distributor; the head casting date is found behind the ignition coil.

additional information - Flathead Identification

There may be an issue with the industrial cam as it was ground for basically 2 engine speeds:  idle and WOT.

There is a A2 up high and a prominent 14 and a barely visible 52 below the dizzy. I assume it is a 1952. 

I’m confused the new motor is a 218 based on the id number on the block. IND5A The 52 would make sense as to the year built. To verify I removed the dirty from the original engine and there are 2 numbers, an 82 above a 28. I know it’s a 1940 engine so shouldn’t the 28 really be 40 or is there some code?  

Here are some pictures.  The first one is the industrial engine going in and second the original engine  61D3ACCD-EDBB-470F-A30B-6CB634669DEC.jpeg.058969c3b45590f16d7a696ae0f26b41.jpegeACC26429-82B1-4956-93DB-47F3B3F8A8F1.jpeg.d40bd13d779701c53bdf3146c4b4016b.jpegtures