Engine build, Winter 2021

DCJ

On 1/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, keithb7 said:

I read technical and reference books about automobiles and their various systems quite often. I crave the new (old) info that I learn. The most exciting book I acquired in recent memory was Dyke's Automotive Encyclopedia. It's a 3” thick tome of all things automotive. A great read for any newbie! Its like the big old bible of automotive. 

Recently I was reading my Motors Manual about valve guides. They claimed that excessive valve to guide clearance can cause a burnt valve. How so? I don't quite grasp that. Maybe the valve could eventually become cock-eyed in the guide? The valve sealing surface becomes uneven, sealing incomplete? The valve can't cool properly? That would be some serious valve guide clearance wear. I guess so...Pretty sure the average person here would know something was up, and needed attention before things go that bad.

Keith, is the Dyke's book like Motor manual where you look for a year range to cover your car, or is general knowledge book?  Thanks

If you have an old car pick a Dyke’s Encyclopedia that was published a year or so after your car year.  My experience is all the pertinent data for your car will be in it. Plus every single thing for decades before since probably since the invention of the internal combustion engine. 

As an example I own a 1938 Plymouth. If I recall my dykes manual was printed in 1940 or I think. It provides a plethora of information all relative to my car. The foundational stuff is all there too. Want to lean about T-head engines, magnetos, model T’s, how to build a shop even or vacuum advance? Its all there and so much more.  Recommend for beginners. Amazing depth of knowledge. 

Dyke’s is more like a technical library for in-depth education. It does not contain tune up specs for your xxxx year car. Where the Motor’s manual does. 

Edited by keithb7