Fuel tank 51 plymouth

Danielle

Thanks I was able to fish the tank and the pipe on through as one. Mighty rusty little screws I will have to deal with tomorrow.. say, while pouring the gas out a bolt came out.. the sending unit looks to be on tact.. any idea what that could be? I tried to upload a picture but it didn't let me.. it was pretty large.. like a fitting of some sort 

The only bolt that might come loose in the tank is maybe the one holding the in tank filter at the base of the pick up tube. If it is even a bolt, might have been a screw holding it on. Best guess is it fell in through the filler port, or it might have been left over from using old hardware to scrub the tank free of rust areas when the tank was last off. 

I used a length of chain when I cleaned mine out. Works on the rock tumbler principle.

Joe Lee

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, greg g said:

Did you capture the ferrel from inside the where the fuel

Line hooks to the tank? If you loose it the new line will not seal to the tank. It is like the crushable sleeve that makes the leakproof connection in compression fittings.

They got rid of that goofy setup by 51 luckily

I was gonna say ... I didn't come across that lol.. thanks sniper.. I'll take that hose with me when I go to the parts store...I was concerned with the material.. seems almost cloth like.. original maybe ? But if rubber is fine than rubber it is 

49 minutes ago, Danielle said:

I was gonna say ... I didn't come across that lol.. thanks sniper.. I'll take that hose with me when I go to the parts store...I was concerned with the material.. seems almost cloth like.. original maybe ? But if rubber is fine than rubber it is 

You should be able to find or order in fuel hose that size. Keep in mind it needs to be fuel rated. Also last time I bought it they priced it by the inch but you had to buy a foot! 

Andy Bernbaum sells the correct hose for your car. With tank out, it's a good time to have the inside treated with sealer. You can send it out or buy a kit and do it yourself at a reasonable price. This will ensure clean fuel to your motor for years to come and will prevent fuel tank removal in the future. Also make sure you have proper tank strap insulators when re installing the tank. You can get this as well as the sealer kit from street rod headquarters in Vancover Washington. I think they  even carry new tanks. Hope this helps and all the best! M

PS it's also a good time to check condition of sender wire and see if sending unit  gives correct feedback to your guage once you have removed sender which will no doubt need a gasket.

Edited by Marcel Backs

Gates sells that special "Fuel Filler Hose"....

By the inch of course....go to a NAPA store.