Hub Cap & Door Sill Restoration

Marcel Backs

I'm at the point in the restoration on my 40 D14 where I would like to send these two sets of parts out for restoration, since doing it myself is way beyond my skills. What makes. it difficult is that first off the hubcaps are a stainless cover crimped to what appears to be a galvanized hub cap. Fixing the dings and imperfections   on this set up needs someone who specializes in this. Buying a new or good used set is virtually imossible. Secondly the door sill plates are thin aluminum over what seems to be another galvanized base with portions of the aluminum having powdered away over the years. To make it worse the sill plates have incuse graphics in the aluminum. These sill plates also seem to be "unobtainium". My only other option is to have the existing ones redone but do not know who does high quality work on these parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

best to all! M

This can be done. Not sure what providers you have in North America but this service is available in NZ where I am. An enthusiast who has developed a process and works from his home workshop. Hubcaps were reskinned to original design in stainless. I sent him my original set of 4. After completing mine he dropped one accidentally and it had a minor scratch. He offered it to me at a reduced price and I paid him for a replacement so I have four perfect and the lightly scratched one I will keep as a spare on my spare tire in the trunk. I would recommend him to anyone. If you can't find someone over there I can give you his details. 59968609_1937DodgeSetof5.jpg.a813e4e79a98b208ab02fabe5aedd485.jpg

I am working on doing my door sill plates too. Have a couple of local options that haven't been progressed yet. Will put up some pictures when they are sorted.

Marcel, interesting that your sill plates are alloy, my D15 uses brass plates that were originally chromed but which had worn thru, I had them replated a couple of years ago, you can just see the plate at the carpet edge, also note the rear seat center armrest something AFAIK was not offered on any USA 1940 Dodge, the door handle and winder are from an Oz 1948-54 GM Holden as the original handles were broken and are impossible to find in any decent condition, also these handles use the Oz only large 3/4" diameter splined attachment system, completely different to that used in US cars...........andyd   

P1010401.JPG

Finally found a pic showing the Oz door handle spline...........handles using this spline were on Oz mopars from late 30's to late 40's, Fords from late 30's to mid 50's and GM cars from late 30's thru to 1956 here in Oz, these type shown were from 1948-56 GM Holden but are a direct fit into the mopar spline.....I've used a plumbing chromed fawcet escutcheon under the handle to add a little "bling" to the doors.........lol...........the upholstery pattern on the door is as original tho' the seat pattern is a copy from the front seat pattern which are 1973-75 Oz Leyland P76 seats which have the original Leyland upholstery....the rear seat & door trims were done by my mother, an experienced seamstress in 1974........the carpet, roof lining, passenger front door trim and Oz drivers seat have been redone in the past couple of years........sort of like grandfathers axe..........lol............regards, andyd     

Holdendoorhandle.jpg

P1010399.JPG

If they are under ten and a half inches it would seem Dave Patten could do them. Have photographed his advert that runs each edition of the local NZ vintage car magazine  - called 'Beaded Wheels'. He is well regarded in the vintage car movement in New Zealand. If you have no other options closer to home then consider him. Good luck!Hubcap.jpg.789164f3ddfe9ab1f6933693f2b7aaa6.jpgAd.jpg.bd5d8097dd567f4677df2c939e8d767b.jpg