Transmission question

Hello! I’ve been picking away at my ‘50 1 ton over the last couple years (can’t do much though, been laid off for most of it). I opened up the original 4 speed to check it over. I had trouble shifting it without grinding gears. I’d read that they were synchronized, not synchronized only synced 2-3 and 3-4, lots of contradicting info. So got it opened and there are no syncros. Most of the gears have led a hard life and there’s some mettle floating around in the oil. So I figured I’d rather have a synchronized transmission then rebuild this one and probably kill it trying to learn double clutch. So my question is, which years and transmissions are synchronized that would bolt on? I’d rather not do a T5 swap or anything like that. My plan for the truck is to update as necessary to make it a nice, safe cruiser. I’ve already done a disc brakes up front and have a Dakota rear end to put in. I’d like to keep the flathead and a more or less original type transmission. 
Thanks!

If you don't want to double clutch the syncro 4 speed is a great transmission.

I have driven my 1952 Dodge pu with the 4 speed syncro transmission for 47 years....

Never a problem with it.?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, furiousgeorge said:

Hello! I’ve been picking away at my ‘50 1 ton over the last couple years (can’t do much though, been laid off for most of it). I opened up the original 4 speed to check it over. I had trouble shifting it without grinding gears. I’d read that they were synchronized, not synchronized only synced 2-3 and 3-4, lots of contradicting info. So got it opened and there are no syncros. Most of the gears have led a hard life and there’s some mettle floating around in the oil. So I figured I’d rather have a synchronized transmission then rebuild this one and probably kill it trying to learn double clutch. So my question is, which years and transmissions are synchronized that would bolt on? I’d rather not do a T5 swap or anything like that. My plan for the truck is to update as necessary to make it a nice, safe cruiser. I’ve already done a disc brakes up front and have a Dakota rear end to put in. I’d like to keep the flathead and a more or less original type transmission. 
Thanks!

Mid 50s where synchro in 3/4.  The t5 is not appropiate for a 1T IMNSHO.   Low isn't low enough and the Non-world class is not strong enough for a loaded truck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, furiousgeorge said:

My truck won’t be used to haul or tow anything, just aiming for a fun cruiser. 
So the early ‘50s and on 4 speeds are syncro’d in 3/4 only? So I’d still have to double clutch 1/2 and 2/3? What about the three speeds? 

Shouldn't be a problem. Start in 2 and shift to 3 and 4 with ease. Come to a stop before going down to 2 

3 hours ago, furiousgeorge said:

My truck won’t be used to haul or tow anything, just aiming for a fun cruiser. 
So the early ‘50s and on 4 speeds are syncro’d in 3/4 only? So I’d still have to double clutch 1/2 and 2/3? What about the three speeds? 

With that info, and rereading where I noted the rear end change, I'll change my answer.

When I read 1T, I pictured a dual wheel flatbed.  Since you changed the rear end, I pictured wrong.

I would not reinstall a truck type 4spd with your intended usage.  The ultralow 1st and no synchro into 2nd, (up or down) wouldn't create a 'fun cruiser', IMO.

A T5, an A833OD,  or some other full synchro  4 or 5 speed would make more sense.

But none will be bolt-in replacements.

45 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I would not reinstall a truck type 4spd with your intended usage.  The ultralow 1st and no synchro into 2nd, (up or down) wouldn't create a 'fun cruiser', IMO.

LOL, I used my granny gear to cruise out of BTT50’s in 2019, the smell of rain made 1000 cars leave at once ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, Brent B3B said:

LOL, I used my granny gear to cruise out of BTT50’s in 2019, the smell of rain made 1000 cars leave at once ?

yah...I think 1000 is a little light on the number

If you want to keep it fairly original and still be a decent cruiser the easiest thing to do would be to find a 52 or later 4 speed. Assuming the rear end you have is say a 3.73 or 3.55 you will hardly ever use 1st gear. It needs to be something like this or you won't have a decent cruising speed. I can't remember the last time I had mine in 1st. It has a 230 with a 52 4 speed and 3.55 rear end. It works just fine as my daily driver. Will easily go over 70.......but honestly the sweet spot is a more leisurely 55.

Jeff

• Like 1

i’m a contrarian, so, why not just beat the tar out of the existing 4-speed non-synchro transmission as you learn how to double clutch it?  it won’t cost anything, and you might learn how to drive that crashbox 4-speed.  i really enjoy driving my non-synchro 4-speed in my ‘48 1.5-ton.

• Like 2

I agree with wallytoo. Double clutching is a dying art but one  worth keeping alive! Once learned, it’s easy to shift gears without grinding. 

There are a lot of drivers who can’t even drive a standard let alone double clutch. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I was worried about the double clutching when I first started driving my truck, but I got the hang of it pretty quick. Now it’s just second nature when I jump in the truck. 

An amusing anecdote... A few years ago, after spending a full week driving my truck to a WPC meet, I returned to work and needed to take one of our shop trucks out for something. I caught myself double clutching out of habit, even though I didn’t need to. ?