thread sealer

DJK

For bolts going through the water jackets I use a Rectorseal #5, one of the best pipe dopes on the market. It is designed for both water and steam service so it can easily handle the temperatures and does a great job of protecting the threads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

Permatex 80632 works quite well and is readily available at most any auto parts store.

_

Might be over thinking, but the technical data sheet states that adjustments can be made up to 24 hrs after application w/o disturbing the seal. My concern would be re-torque after a heat cycle.

I like to use studs over bolts. Studs going into water jackets have the problem of corrosion on the threads that go past the hole. Once they start to corrode they usually break coming out. So you try to screw them in only as far as the threads in the block. I measure the depth of the holes (an average) then screw them in to a gauge I make. If you use PTFE pipe thread sealant they move when you tighten the nuts. So now I use Loc-tite. The results are just what I want. They stay put when you tighten the nuts (always use  thread lube).

Also I run a tap down each hole before starting to assemble the engine. Things go a lot smoother then.

• Like 3