48 DeSoto Clutch Housing Pan Questions

ratbailey

Here is the drivers side bracket on my 1950 Chrysler 250 ci  six wagon.

I'll get the # off it later today.

20210201_092857.jpg

16 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Here is the drivers side bracket on my 1950 Chrysler 250 ci  six wagon.

I'll get the # off it later today.

20210201_092857.jpg

Thanks for doing all this, this is clearing things up. Looks like the bosses on the engine are always in the same place, but the bell housing holes are in different places. I think I need to toss the cover on and measure it--it's 27F out there today, but a shot or two of Jameson should fortify me ?. Would you mind taking a measurement from the engine bolt to the top bolt on the bell housing? 

I will do that later today.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I will do that later today.

Actually, don't bother removing the bracket...hopefully you haven't already! I put the cover back on, and made a sloppy cardboard template of where the bracket would go. It's the long one...I was wrong, wrong, wrong. This never happens, just ask my wife and kids. There's approximately 5 inches between the holes, I don't know how I could've messed that up. If you feel like measuring it, let me know what you got...and thanks again.

20210201_141233[1]

Yes has to be the long one.

I pulled it off the chrysler six...part # 667515 and 516.

7" OAL with 7-3/4" and 4-1/4" block to lower bell housing bolt holes ...center of hole to center of hole.

20210201_151726_compress56.jpg

20210201_151315_compress65.jpg

Dodgeb4ya, thanks---above and beyond the call of duty. It really would've been a big PITA to figure out what I was missing, without your help--- I feel confident now to buy a set of long brackets. I've got a good clutch housing, and a dust cover on the way. Hopefully, this is the last of the missing stuff on my car, though I'm sure it won't be!

Art

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ratbailey said:

So, you have to keep bumping the starter until the drain plug lines up with that hole? Yikes. 

Do you have the 237 in yours? Do you recall if you have short or long brackets? 

Thanks,

Art

Yes my 48 DeSoto has the original 237 cid engine and the brackets are long.  Looks like about 6" to me.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got this thing buttoned up. Thought I'd leave pics for reference, in case anyone else finds themselves parts hunting...

960064 clutch housing shield

20210228_105232

667515 and 667516 clutch housing pan brackets, and a clutch housing pan, both from a '49 Dodge. Ugly zinc plated hardware will get painted, someday. There's still a mystery hole, in the middle top 1/4 of the photo...

20210228_140737

Getting this back together wasn't easy. Two bolt holes on the clutch pan were located in a space just big enough to jam a finger in--I had to slide the pan into that space with the bolts "glued" in the holes with marine grease, then spin them with both index fingers on either hand. Pretty obvious why some mechanic said "&*%$ it" at some point in the distant past. I also had to leave out one of the two large rear studs, near the transmission, and one of the screws that wouldn't clear a bulging trans mount. It wasn't possible to push the pan in with the studs threaded into it already.  It was designed to be assembled with the trans and engine out of the car, I suppose. It's pretty over-engineered, and between the cast iron brackets and remaining screws, I'm not worried about it coming off. Thanks, Dodgeb4ya, for all your help!

-Art

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1

Yeah those two little 2" long bolts are a little tough to deal with.

The two trans studs/and 5/8" nuts...I just screw them back out of the lower pan housing leaving them in the trans.

I agree that cast iron pan is somewhat troublesome to remove but after twenty or more of them...not too bad a job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Yeah those two little 2" long bolts are a little tough to deal with.

The two trans studs/and 5/8" nuts...I just screw them back out of the lower pan housing leaving them in the trans.

I agree that cast iron pan is somewhat troublesome to remove but after twenty or more of them...not too bad a job.

I left the right hand stud until last, and it dawned on me then that I should've done what you described. Damned if I was taking it all apart again ?. I can't leave it like that, though...I'll be back at it again, next time I'm under there, which will be soon.

Edited by ratbailey