Barn Find Mopar- NOT!

DJ194950

Off net, Vinyl coating.

eyJpdSI6IjJkMGVkMWRjMDQzNzFkNmE0NWU0YjgxYmM5YjZkMjA1ODg5NzQzZjY2ZWZjMmZlOGM4NDYwYzBjMDY2YmM4ZDgiLCJ3IjozODEsImgiOjI1NCwiZCI6Mi4wLCJjcyI6MCwiZiI6MH0.jpg

• Like 2

The above photo brings to mind several captions in somewhat different directions and while I may view them as appropriate and humorous,some would be offended .? 

2 hours ago, T120 said:

The above photo brings to mind several captions in somewhat different directions and while I may view them as appropriate and humorous,some would be offended .? 

I find it very hard to believe that your comments could be more offensive or obscene than that picture....!!

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I see it as fugly. Some may view it  as art and be more thoughtful.?

This look is an off shoot of the Rat-Rod phenomenon that seems to have quite a growing popularity nowadays. This is the first time I have seen it done with a vinyl wrap on a late model car. The show Vegas Rat Rods do their creations up to look like this quite often and it is more work than a standard paint job. Just saw the episode where they did it to a 54 Chevy wagon and it took them days to achieve the look. To each their own.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/299630181450116582/

Guys going for the patina look is fine by me, take some 600 grit and wet sand until primer or metal starts to show. Just speeding up what the enviroment does to paint. Sadly, the paint on these new cars is thicker than the metal it covers. So they have to resort to paying a fortune to have a big sticker put on it..

If its driven, taken to a show....I don't mind....

My only problem is with guys who keep a perfectly restore able vehicle under the Oak tree and let it die a slow rusty death.

"I'm gonna put a sweet motor in it and make it a nice hot mucsle rod someday!" 

I say give it to the neighbor kid who just built his first motor with his Dad so the kid can drive it as a "rat rod" til he's got the time to learn to paint. 

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

29 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

If its driven, taken to a show....I don't mind....

My only problem is with guys who keep a perfectly restore able vehicle under the Oak tree and let it die a slow rusty death.

"I'm gonna put a sweet motor in it and make it a nice hot mucsle rod someday!" 

I say give it to the neighbor kid who just built his first motor with his Dad so the kid can drive it as a "rat rod" til he's got the time to learn to paint. 

48D

there is a distinct difference in a rat rod and the 'down on your luck' owner  rat rod is designed to look like crap....the down on your luck guy is just happy to have something that will drive but does try to better it as he is able.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

there is a distinct difference in a rat rod and the 'down on your luck' owner  rat rod is designed to look like crap....the down on your luck guy is just happy to have something that will drive but does try to better it as he is able.

It's a reaction to the 'rich guy take over' of the old car hobby - guys who appear to have an endless bank account, and hire everything done, producing (mostly) cookie cutter street rods with SBC power plants.  Just do what you can with what you have.  Of course every trend will take an extreme path at some point, so you have the questions about "How can I speed up the rust process", extreme chops so low you can't sit up inside or safely see out,  and all sorts of junk welded onto cars & PUs all over the place.

I understand what a Custom Rod is, a Hot Rod, a Resto Rod , or even a Rat Rod....not to mention Muscle Cars vs Sports Car, or Lowriders vs High Boys.....i just don't hate on any of them. Having said that, I spend MY money on Mopar Muscle and Mopar Trucks. 

Just a Story

I remember in 1988.....my brother John gave me Grandpa's 1968 Coronet 440 4 door (383 2 bbl) that he gave him in 78' to use for college......I jacked that back end up, put big 10" wide rims , wide tires, rolled the inside fender lips with my bat, smaller tires in the front, 4 bbl intake/4 bbl carb and sprayed the interior with black upholstery paint. I even made a wood center console to hold a tape deck for the speakers I put on the back "shelf".  Not to mention the glass packs.  My Grandmother said "oh my" her eyes said "oh sh*t"....I've learned so much about building cars since then. Grandma never understood my take on cars, but Grandpa thought the ol' Coronet looked "cool".......:)

48D

hey Tim, I get where you coming from brother.....I however just cannot feel the 'love' for many model cars and types of build.....just who I am and I am being openly honest...

local man says he has 70,000 in his Dodge ratter.....if he would pay for the tetanus shot and give me 2K up front handling fee...I would gladly scrap the vehicle for him...just so not to see that ugly thing again...again, I am too free and honest with my opinion at times.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Mine is no rat rod, its a stock engine,and very little done to the outside. Certainly not a hot rod,and is intended to be driven. Pretty much how i found it, lots of stuff was repaired/replaced. I cant justify spending tens of hundreds of dollars on something i just want to putt around in. 

870EE860-9CA5-4F07-869F-ADC2A8C8422F.png

• Like 4

This isn`t a Barn find but it is something I found at the Freight Salvage place today and added it to my Barn decor. It`s a pretty good illusion and now I can sit by the fire and drink a beer.

• Like 2