Firewall mounted master cylinder

40desoto

Ive been tinkering with modifying my original master cylinder mounting location to accept a dual master cylinder. Using it for a front disc, rear drum setup on my 40 Desoto coupe.
Was wondering if anyone has had successfully installed firewall mounted master cylinder in their car.  Seems like a simple install and much more beneficial other than the cost.

im looking at this kit.  What have others done?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Under-Dash-Brake-Pedal-Assembly-Single-Diaphragm,45466.html?sku=9106001&msclkid=b32df0483a2913802658904d7f9d676a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SMI - Shopping (CSE) (Bing)&utm_term=1100309959115&utm_content=Speedway (Feb28_2020)

I used one of those brackets and a master cylinder I already had in a '47 D24. If the firewall is flat it would be fairly easy. I put the bracket directly above the steering shaft which may not have been the best choice. It would have been easier to move it more to the left side of the car. It took some bending, cutting, welding, and grinding to accommodate the angle of the firewall and get the pedal where I wanted it.  It works even though the car is progressing slowly. IMO anything that gets the m/c out from under the floor is worth a shot.

19 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I used one of those brackets and a master cylinder I already had in a '47 D24. If the firewall is flat it would be fairly easy. I put the bracket directly above the steering shaft which may not have been the best choice. It would have been easier to move it more to the left side of the car. It took some bending, cutting, welding, and grinding to accommodate the angle of the firewall and get the pedal where I wanted it.  It works even though the car is progressing slowly. IMO anything that gets the m/c out from under the floor is worth a shot.

Thank you.  Its appears that relocating it above on the firewall has many benefits and found it interesting that more havent done it.  Just wondering if Im missing a negative impact of doing so that some might be willing to share.  Ie- pedal location, wirewall allignment (placement) engine bay space limitation, hood clearance. 

My 1940 Dodge has the booster/master cylinder on the firewall, since 1974, I reinforced the firewall with a piece of 1/8th plate welded to where the booster mounts, also used a pendant pedal assembly with some modifications bolted to the firewall and dash and it provides the upper steering column mounting also.......this whole assembly MUST be strong and solidly mounted as no movement against the firewall if you hit the brakes suddenly is wanted............andyd

P1000417.JPG

P1000809 (800x600).jpg

P1010399.JPG

8 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Thank you!

Edited by 40desoto

27 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

My 1940 Dodge has the booster/master cylinder on the firewall, since 1974, I reinforced the firewall with a piece of 1/8th plate welded to where the booster mounts, also used a pendant pedal assembly with some modifications bolted to the firewall and dash and it provides the upper steering column mounting also.......this whole assembly MUST be strong and solidly mounted as no movement against the firewall if you hit the brakes suddenly is wanted............andyd

P1000417.JPG

P1000809 (800x600).jpg

P1010399.JPG

Thank you Andy.... but.. why is your master cylinder on the passenger side??

Im kidding that you for the pictures, they really help..

You have a beautiful car ??

Thanks Donald.........that would explain why I keep knocking my head on the running board every time I get in the car............lol.............back in my corner I'll go.............andyd

• Haha 1