Newbie in Iowa

DadRchmnd

Hello all. New to the forum, and new to the classic car world. I've always been an admirer of classic cars, and have always wanted one. Anything from classic curves to pure muscle. I've recently purchased, and will be picking up a 1950 Dodge, I believe it to be a Coronet based off the research I've found, am hopeful the title will have it or I'm sure you all will know. Everything seems to be there, all the chrome, and parts. Floors are pitted and have the usual midwest rust spots so I'll get to remove those and replace, looking forward to that. Engine ran 2 years ago according to PO, it did turn by hand so am happy their. I am looking to restore it as a driver and take to shows and cruise around. Will repaint it and rebuild it. If the engine is toast then I'll consider something different, but would like to keep the 230 if I can. Will definitely be searching here for tips, tricks and advice. Glad to meet new people and start a new hobby!

Font.jpg

PassengerSide.jpg

DashCenter.jpg

Rear.jpg

FrontInterior.jpg

PassengerFront.jpg

EngineBay.jpg

Engine2.jpg

• Like 3

you got a lot of work ahead of you....at least you discovered what appears to be a complete 2 door......even if in the future you go alternate engine and install AC...save that heater control panel...they beautiful and fully and very easily adapted to that of modern retrofit AC IF you go analog and stay away from digital and or vacuum controllers.

Make sure none of them Puukiac tin worms have found their way over to the Dodge....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Congradulations! You had the good sense to find and buy one that seems to have nothing missing. You have no idea yet what an advantage that really is.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, planning to wash it off right away and clean up the grime and pine needles before I put it in the garage.  Then see about getting the engine to turn over. The state of the motor will guide my plans for it.

50 minutes ago, DadRchmnd said:

Thanks everyone, planning to wash it off right away and clean up the grime and pine needles before I put it in the garage.  Then see about getting the engine to turn over. The state of the motor will guide my plans for it.

If the motor needs rebuilding I know a good video that'll show you how to do it. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice find.  It is worth a bunch to have a complete set of good stainless/chrome trim and correct wheel covers.  When I bought my 47 Plymouth in 1973.....it did NOT

have one single piece of trim.  The good news was......back in the early to mid 70s, there were still many salvage yards with old Mopars

that had most trim still intact.  And it was not near so expensive as today.   Even the seats are not real worn.   Have fun and enjoy it.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, DadRchmnd said:

MY best advise,and worth every nickel it cost you is "IF the original engine is still in it and it is rebuidable,rebuild the damn thing and be done with it."

Chances are it will cost you more to buy a USED replacement V-8,the adaptors,the new exhaust,new wiring,convert to 12 volt,maybe a new radiator,new driveshaft,etc,etc,etc as it would to do a standard rebuild of the original flat 6,and when you are done you have a modified car that will probably be harder to sell and sell for less if you ever want to get rid of it.

Remember,even though it is a antique/old car today,when it was new,it was built to drive at highway speeds on modern highways. It's not like it's a 1931 something.

Since it is all original,keep it all original and just enjoy driving the damn thing and showing people how they "used to be made". I suspect you might be surprised at how pleasant they are to drive.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 3

On 1/17/2021 at 5:23 PM, MackTheFinger said:

I have one of those in much the same condition. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it.

I think you should give it to me.

Just a suggestion to try to make your life more pleasant,boss!

• Like 1

Wonder how long the hood was left open letting the snow blow in and down the carb??

Looks like a all original car ...original seat upholstry etc.

Keep it stock...get it running quickly be it stock.

They drive nice with a good running 230 and M6 trans.

Only thing would be to change the rear end pumpkin to 3.9 ....most likely a 4.1 as is.

Assuming it's a upper line Dodge Coronet.

This car likely has fluid drive.  Make sure you have a working parking brake or chock the wheels.  There is no compression braking with engine off so they like to wander a bit if left on the slightest grade.  Is there any gyromatic badging on the car?

Looks like the interior is in pretty nice condition and you will be surprised how much life you will be able to get out of the old paint.  I use Bon Ami powdered cleanser to do a deep scrub after an initial wash.  Bon Ami or barkeepers friend are feldspar based  won't scratch like the ones with aluminum silicates.  You can use it on all the exterior surfaces chrome glass, rubber stainless etc. Takes a lot of elbow grease and lots of rinsing but it's worth it..

Good luck have fun.  Before you get around to trying to start it, these are 6v POSITIVE ground systems.  For info on the gyromatic if that is what you have, check out the Imperialclub website repair section under transmissions.

Bon Ami changed it's formulation some time ago, they added limestone.  They still have the original feldspar recipe available under a slightly different name now.  Found that out when I was looking to get some to clean windows. 

https://www.bonami.com/product/bon-ami-1886-formula-cleaning-powder/

On 1/17/2021 at 11:36 PM, Ranger said:

Nice find! That will be one sharp car. Hard to find one without much rust in Iowa. I was a student at UNI many years ago. Great country.

I can see the UNI Dome from my back deck. Small world! I unfortunately don't have much history on this car yet, am going to do a VIN lookup and see what I can find that way, if anything. 

On 1/17/2021 at 11:36 PM, Marcel Backs said:

Knuck makes a really good point. Bringing things back to stock is more economical and your car is an excellent candidate. Mods lead to $$$$. Oh and yeah, they are fun to drive in stock form...loads of  grin inducing fun!

For the most part I'd like to keep it stock like both you and Knuck said, there are some small things I'd like to do but am not going to go crazy. Possibly 12 Volt upgrade, disc brakes, hidden modern radio, etc. Getting the stock 230 running, is a big hope and I really want to go that route.

3 hours ago, greg g said:

This car likely has fluid drive.  Make sure you have a working parking brake or chock the wheels.  There is no compression braking with engine off so they like to wander a bit if left on the slightest grade.  Is there any gyromatic badging on the car?

Looks like the interior is in pretty nice condition and you will be surprised how much life you will be able to get out of the old paint.  I use Bon Ami powdered cleanser to do a deep scrub after an initial wash.  Bon Ami or barkeepers friend are feldspar based  won't scratch like the ones with aluminum silicates.  You can use it on all the exterior surfaces chrome glass, rubber stainless etc. Takes a lot of elbow grease and lots of rinsing but it's worth it..

Good luck have fun.  Before you get around to trying to start it, these are 6v POSITIVE ground systems.  For info on the gyromatic if that is what you have, check out the Imperialclub website repair section under transmissions.

I didn't see any gyromatic badging at all. I was just talking about that with a friend a mine that went to look at it with me, neither of us remember seeing anything of the sort and can't find anything in the pictures we have. 

The brake pedal is all the way to the floor, the lady I bought it from remembers it having a brake problem when it was parked a couple of years ago. I'm planning on putting it on a set of dollies so I can push it around the garage "easier". At least until I get it running and the brakes fixed. 

Welcome.  There is lot of good information here for your car.  I bought a used 56 Plymouth 230 had it rebuilt and couldn't be happier.  Make it run, make it stop then work on everything else.  I found it's fun to drive a car that was a work-in-progress, I can't imagine doing a full restoration and not driving it until everything was done.

Edited by 48ply1stcar
  • Like 2

Great looking car, looks brand new compared to my heap.

Sad that it seems to be missing the air cleaner which can allow moisture & dirt into the engine. Just seems to be a better chance the engine is stuck when it has no air cleaner.

Same time my truck had no air cleaner, sat about 15-20 years and was not stuck and runs decent with little effort.

First thing I would do is put marvel mystery oil, atf/acetone mix or even straight atf in the cylinders and let it sit a few days before trying to turn it over.

Then clean the car up and do what you want.

These old flatheads are pretty forgiving and respond well to tlc. So simple to work on it is therapeutic.

As others have said, is cheaper to keep her. Looking forward to see your progress with it and wish you luck with whatever direction you choose.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

• Like 2