Water-in-oil on 251 motor

DanPW

Hi, My 251 motor in a 66 PowerWagon gets water in the oil, badly.  Just sitting, I get water into the oil pan.  The engine does run, and I get 85-95 psi dry compression in all the cylinders, and the plugs all look black, none seem to have been "steam cleaned".  So, from what I read, head gasket seems to be OK.  Besides a crack in the block, any other possibilities?  I have a 241 motor To swap in, but I'd like to keep the original if I can.  Thanks

Have you tried pressure testing the cooling system? Maybe put a tester on it and pump it up to 4# or 5# to see if it holds or drops quickly.

Putting a new head gasket on one of these flatheads is generally not too bad a job. There is plenty of info on this here on this site.

When I put my 230 together several years ago I used a Felpro gasket set. The head gasket failed about a year into using it. And yes a fair amount of water in the oil. It failed between #4 and #5 cylinders. I put a gasket on by Best and flushed the crankcase carefully and have not had any further problems.

Hth, Jeff

I’m ok with FelPro head gaskets, but in my opinion the spray copper gasket sealer is a must on these old trucks, I lost 2 gaskets in a row and my block was decked and head planed, so everything should be true, but as soon as I put the spray on I’ve been good