replacement oil pump failures

DJK

34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I talked to the Freewheeling Tony Smith about making an new cover plate for the end of the pump as the oil outlet and then only having to drill one hole in the block for the oil return.  He seemed to think that would work well.

As for the full time and bypass oil filtration scheme, when I worked on wind turbines that is exactly what we did there.  Full flow whenever the turbine was producing and bypass all the rest of the time.  We tested our gear oil annually and changed it every 5 years, unless testing saw something.  Seemed to work well.  I have thought some on how to do it in a car, but I could only come up with some electrically driven pump and I worried about the battery going flat real quick doing that or having two batteries, one dedicated to the pump the other acting as a normal car battery.  Only thing I could think of was a time limited run of the bypass filtration system.

You can run both on a car/truck.  But, both would be in use all the time, not one or the other.  That is the way diesels are normally set up(see my other response above.

3 hours ago, kencombs said:

My 230 that is going in my PU now has the full flow mod you described, at least the filter housing is mounted and the block bored and tapped.  working on the line layout.  I really want hard lines.

Mine is a 201cu, 1938 version. Pics show full flow filter system as adapted and plumbed into the oil pump. You should be able to do something like this that is even tidier as mine is right hand drive version with steering box in the way somewhat. 2.jpg.a27a383296fa22ec40daadda93ea3e40.jpg1.jpg.5f4d4e358d5cd2e47d687c573b1cd986.jpg

• Like 2

From pressure side of oil pump, a hole tapped and plumbed to pump through filter. Then oil returned to block by tapping into the corresponding gallery. Also blocked off this gallery with grub screw just behind where pump is mounted. This to stop any possibility of recirculating oil - ensures it is full flow filtering. Hope this makes sense. 4.jpg.d5b322d33155a9e686ad016d305a047c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose you could say both really. But the original passageway from pump to block is plugged with welch screw so all oil has to go through filter before returning beyond the plug into the same gallery pathway,  this time in the block. I looked at JBNeals link and this is nearly the same setup but tapped into the block ( same gallery ) for both into and out of the filter. Also has a plug inserted in the gallery between the two taps. The plumbing on this looks better able to attach to a filter mount up on the firewall or inner guard etc. Largely the same operation with the oil pump though.

• Like 1

I remember reading about this on the HAMB about the same time as the linked post, where the machinist went into detail with sketches on original oil flow and modified oil flow...this was on a hot rod 230 where they also cross drilled the crankshaft to increase connecting rod oiling...effectively, the block was tapped for full flow oil filter port re-routing on the pump boss; the block pressure galley is bored out slightly to accept a concave plug, so that the plug is installed between the two new tapped ports; with the oil pump reinstalled, the concave plug blocks oil flow from traversing into the block internals directly, as oil flow is redirected out of the block to the full flow filter, then returns to the other tapped port to lubricate the block internals.  I recall the HAMB machinist actually installed 2 concave plugs, doubled up for insurance.  He reported later that engine ran like a scalded dog ?

• Like 1

Less work on the block side with this modification. But, then all the pumps one has would need to be done. I guess one would have to carry a spare on the road as you could not swap one in if there was a problem on a trip.

In my case, I like the idea of having the filer pointed down. Less spill and easy if I pull into a oil change place.

If one goes to this setup and makes sure that the factory filter is partial flow, then one can use a very fine filter on that one and it it clogs up nothing will happen. Just make sure if you use both that the factor set up is not on full flow. If it clogs you will loose oil flow to the mains!

James

On 1/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, JBNeal said:

I remember reading about this on the HAMB about the same time as the linked post, where the machinist went into detail with sketches on original oil flow and modified oil flow...this was on a hot rod 230 where they also cross drilled the crankshaft to increase connecting rod oiling...effectively, the block was tapped for full flow oil filter port re-routing on the pump boss; the block pressure galley is bored out slightly to accept a concave plug, so that the plug is installed between the two new tapped ports; with the oil pump reinstalled, the concave plug blocks oil flow from traversing into the block internals directly, as oil flow is redirected out of the block to the full flow filter, then returns to the other tapped port to lubricate the block internals.  I recall the HAMB machinist actually installed 2 concave plugs, doubled up for insurance.  He reported later that engine ran like a scalded dog ?

I know there was a pretty lengthy thread on Inliners International a LONG time ago about doing the same thing. I believe it was the user "Hudson" and he was discussing doing it on his Custom pulling tractor with a Dodge flatty. I know he posts on the HAMB, but I don't recall what his screen name is there. If you happen to know of the thread on the HAMB - I would love a link. I did some searching and came up rather empty. 

I gave up on the HAMB a few years ago when the inmates began running the insane asylum...shortly thereafter, photobucket decided to hold everyone's pics hostage with their bait and switch policy, so a LOT of useful information on the HAMB has lost its usefulness with the replacement of detailed pics with NOT AVAILABLE cards...what has been posted and linked to here fills in some gaps ?

• Like 1

Update, got my square cut O ring today, fit perfect. It came from jcapartscom on eBay part #AS568A-143. They are also available @ McMaster-Carr.

Item # on eBay is 270800755048

Edited by DJK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

I know there was a pretty lengthy thread on Inliners International a LONG time ago about doing the same thing. I believe it was the user "Hudson" and he was discussing doing it on his Custom pulling tractor with a Dodge flatty. I know he posts on the HAMB, but I don't recall what his screen name is there. If you happen to know of the thread on the HAMB - I would love a link. I did some searching and came up rather empty. 

....You might check out the name, "Hudsonator", on this forum, Don Coatney referred to him several times in his posts. ?

Edited by T120

• 1 year later...