Hello All

Capt Jeff

Good day all. I am in the process of a trade for a 1949 Dodge Special Deluxe. I am told it is a Canadian build. I am trying to research parts and such for it but have no idea what model it is. Is it safe to say it is a D32? I am looking forward to being a part of the group once I get the car at the end of the month. Everywhere I look online, it does not even register a 49 Dodge Special Deluxe.

Capt Jeff......from my John Lee book, "The Standard Catalog of Chrysler, 1924 -1990" the 1949 US Dodge Model Numbers are D29 & D30  and my Oz Workshop Book has 1949 Dodge as D32........My understanding is that the D32 models are Canadian built and sourced Dodge cars as well as "export" cars of which the Australian assembled cars are "D32" models.........whereabouts are you and the car?.

...........and Marcel, for 1940 it was just as confusing, as the D14 and D17 were the two 1940 Dodge models for sale in the USA, however in Canada for 1940 there was a D14  plus two D15 versions both the D15's based on the 1940 Plymouth wheelbase and body styling.........and for here in Australia all the mopar brands, Plymouth,Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler were all based on the Oz 1940 Plymouth body shell & styling but with make specific grilles, headlights, moldings, RHD dashboards  and bumpers.......my own 1940 Dodge is a D15S...........and uses Plymouth wheelbase,fenders,head& tailights, bumpers with Dodge grille, moldings & badges............and I am almost certain that I've seen a "D16" mentioned or listed somewhere............lol..........regards, andyd           

We call the D 15 in Canada a Plodge since it is a hybrid dodge/Plymouth collaboration. D14/D15 differences are many in the body and trim areas! D17 is the long wheelbase which I do not know if any made it up to Canada. You guys in Oz are fortunate because you also have utes. I love utes! Nowadays the number system fo all cars is just #2 hahaha!

This is from my Canadian Mopar 1949 Service Manual. 

A little warning not to confuse this 25” long 218 engine, with the 23.5” long American 218 engine. Very different. This 3 ⅜” bore Canadian engine is difficult to find rings & pistons for. 

I have the same engine with a 4 ¼” stroke. It a 228 ci. I am boring it over now to the more popular 3 7/16” bore engine. Effectively making it the 236.6 ci  Desoto engine shown here in these engine stats.

12FC12E0-796F-4DE6-B520-3F449B259835.jpeg

3219E818-1841-4775-AD61-B7798857D8B6.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Here is some pictures of my previous Canadian D32, 1949 Dodge Special Deluxe.  As stated a Plodge as they used the Canadian made Plymouth engines in the Canadian Dodges.

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

Edited by 1949 Wraith
  • Like 1

A black beauty man! All of my cars are black which is a pain to keep clean but looks so good on the cars of this era. To make it worse I live on a gravel road. I had the opportunity to compare a D 14 to a D 15 and are they different! The difference in production numbers between the two must also be significant.Anyone know why Chrysler Corp.   produced cars with such varied features ( for domestic and export) of the same make in the same year? My salutations from a fellow Ontarian. Your old dodge is no doubt a road boss black paint and all! M

On 1/12/2021 at 9:34 PM, Andydodge said:

Capt Jeff......from my John Lee book, "The Standard Catalog of Chrysler, 1924 -1990" the 1949 US Dodge Model Numbers are D29 & D30  and my Oz Workshop Book has 1949 Dodge as D32........My understanding is that the D32 models are Canadian built and sourced Dodge cars as well as "export" cars of which the Australian assembled cars are "D32" models.........whereabouts are you and the car?.

...........and Marcel, for 1940 it was just as confusing, as the D14 and D17 were the two 1940 Dodge models for sale in the USA, however in Canada for 1940 there was a D14  plus two D15 versions both the D15's based on the 1940 Plymouth wheelbase and body styling.........and for here in Australia all the mopar brands, Plymouth,Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler were all based on the Oz 1940 Plymouth body shell & styling but with make specific grilles, headlights, moldings, RHD dashboards  and bumpers.......my own 1940 Dodge is a D15S...........and uses Plymouth wheelbase,fenders,head& tailights, bumpers with Dodge grille, moldings & badges............and I am almost certain that I've seen a "D16" mentioned or listed somewhere............lol..........regards, andyd           

This is great info Andydodge! Thank you very much.

Marcel..re the D14 & D17s made & sold in the USA, they were the "proper"USA wheelbased Dodges however I think for the export market in Oz and other countries the plymouth wheelbased chassis and various fenders etc were used as it simplified the assembly process...........I have an Oz 1940 Dodge sales brochure which shows 4 coloured illustrations , all 4dr sedans ..........the D14 Sedan, D14 7 passenger Sedan, then two D15's, a D15Deluxe (which my car is) and a D15.........note the differences in the fender stampings, headlight surrounds, differences in the hood length, ie, D14's use the shorter Dodge hood, D15's use the longer Plymouth lights,hood.& fenders.......and the sales brochure highlights the two wheelbase langths available ..............in playing with Oz 1940 Dodges since 1970 when I bought my first a n Oz 1940 D15 Coupe I have parted out 7 1940 Dodges and seen maybe another 10 or 12 and only 1 was a D14, at least thats what I took it to be as in hindsight as I didn't check the body stamping but it DID have the D14 dinstinctive headlights, hood and fender stampings which at the time I just thought as "odd"............I've attached pics from the 1940 Sales brochure for your info.............as an aside any 1940 Dodge here in Oz would have been viewed as an "upmarket" car, leather upholstery, folding rear seat center armrest, three interior lights, on each door pillar and above the rear seat, carpeted floor front & back, assist straps on each rear door opening and rear of front seat and ash receivers front & back............regards, andyd     

img004 (13).jpg

img004 (14).jpg

img004 (15).jpg

img004 (12).jpg

img004 (17).jpg

And I forgot to mention that all the "features" mentioned in the spiel for the red  D14 Luxury Sedan were and are in my D15 De Luxe Sedan.........so who knows exactly what Ox mopars should have had..........lol.............andyd .. 

You guys down under have the goodies when it comes to these old cars. In comparing the D14 to the D15, I have found many parts on the exterior are different eg the grille D14 like mine cast under chrome/ D15 looks like stamped stainless and the list goes on. As far as wheelbase D14 is I believe 119 inches but did not realize D15 was different. I have learned much about these cars and have much more to learn from the great knowledge you and the rest of the folks on this forum have! Cheers!

PS my favorite OZ car: 39 Holden 2 door slantback. Wayyyy nicer than our North American couterparts!

Marcel I assume you mean the Oz "slopers"or "All Enclosed Coupe" ......Holdens made them for 35-40 GM makes, Ford for 1939/40 and TJ Richards for 1937/38 Dodge/Plymouth and DeSoto...........your 1940 Dodge grille comments intrique me...........my cars grille is stamped brass that is soldered together then chromed and is attached to the car via small screws from the rear into captive nuts on the grille.........the rear of the grille is accessed via a removable panel in front of the radiator, which is exPlymouth as is the long hood...........US Dodge because of their short hood  and no rear grille access use small screws attached from the front.......a mate here in Grafton had a US imported 1940 Dodge Coupe which was great to use for comparision with my car, its no longer around but I'm pretty sure it had a metal grille of stainless or brass and was held on from the front....................andyd

IMG_1465.JPG

The front clip you have in the pic is spot on to my D14. My grille attaches with small screws from the front. Export model had a stamped grille and a totally different front clip configuration. I still wonder what the rationale was for such differences for the same marque? Seems the D15 was a little less appointed than it's domestic market counterpart but probably rarer (?).

PS I love the sloper body style! Y'all have some pretty cool cars and nicer weather to drive them in your neck of the woods! Cheers M

Edited by Marcel Backs
forgot something added post script

Marcel.....heres a pic of my 1940 Dodge........Plymouth wheelbase, fenders, hood, bumpers, head & tailights..... Oz body shell.....US Dodge badges &, RHD dash....two piece rear bumper is not stock but one I found & had rechromed 45 yrs ago..............two piece rear window is also Oz specific.........I windened rear fenders by 2" 45 yrs ago too........318 poly V8 since 1973.....andyd..      

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

P1000697 (800x600).jpg

P1010400.JPG

P1000807 (800x600).jpg