Valve Arrangement

ChrisMinelli

Perfect. Every exhaust valve gets it’s own exhaust manifold leg. There are 6 exhaust manifold legs. 

2 intake valves are shared between each intake manifold leg. There are only 3 intake manifold legs. Someone way smarter than me engineered that set up brilliantly!

Are you tooling-up for a valve set?

5AF5AF86-3CD4-482C-B044-4AD598399F6C.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

For initial cold checking, when Piston #1 is at top dead center what tappets can be set? Then which one can be set when Piston #6 is at top dead center? The reference material I have been able to find about that has a miss print or typo with half of same tappets being set in both positions. I know that is not right. I also know its best to do adjustments hot.

I have done adjustments hot and cold. Cold works well too. You can add .002" to the spec and set 'em cold. I've had success both ways.

Remove all plugs. Start at #1 TDC. Wiggle both tappets up and down. Both will move as both valves are fully closed at TDC only. The wiggle is your proof both valves are closed as there should be the clearance.  Unless of course one is set too tight.

Set #1 valves, both. Look at 1 fan blade and rotate it 120 degrees. Got to valves for #5. Repeat process above.  Then carry on. The order is 1 5 3 6 2 4. When all 6 are done you will have rotated the fan blade two full revolutions.

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

In the technical drop down menu at the top of the web site there is a section called tech tips. It has a section on valve adjustment. According to it you can set all of the valves with the engine in just two different spots. Take a look at it and see if it makes sense to you.

28 minutes ago, 61spit said:

In the technical drop down menu at the top of the web site there is a section called tech tips. It has a section on valve adjustment. According to it you can set all of the valves with the engine in just two different spots. Take a look at it and see if it makes sense to you.

Thanks for pointing that out for me 61spit. The info in the technical menu is the same typo that I have found in other places.

Capture.PNG.de313f6a64afc608343b76a38b6996b8.PNG

How can you adjust #2 intake and both valves at #5 in Stage A, and adjust the #5 intake and both valves for #2 in Stage B. Cylinder #5 and #2 have three valves? 14 valves!?I don't think so. Clarification would be nice.

You're right. That doesn't make sense for cylinders #2 & #5. It must have something to do with where those cylinders are in their travel as to compression stroke or power stroke when #1 is in firing position or #6 is in firing position.

2 hours ago, 61spit said:

You're right. That doesn't make sense for cylinders #2 & #5. It must have something to do with where those cylinders are in their travel as to compression stroke or power stroke when #1 is in firing position or #6 is in firing position.

Exactly.  Look carefully at the firing order and note the piston position, which is related to camshaft lobe postion.  It helps to write it out.  or just accept it.

3 hours ago, ccudahy said:

Thanks for pointing that out for me 61spit. The info in the technical menu is the same typo that I have found in other places.

Capture.PNG.de313f6a64afc608343b76a38b6996b8.PNG

How can you adjust #2 intake and both valves at #5 in Stage A, and adjust the #5 intake and both valves for #2 in Stage B. Cylinder #5 and #2 have three valves? 14 valves!?I don't think so. Clarification would be nice.

Adjusted valves on the Nissan in line 6 cylinders the exact same way.