Engine numbering question

p15-1948

P17 cars did the engine numbers start with P17 or P18.  I  want to think P17 but not sure.  I'm looking at a low mileage advertised as all original car.  The block is stamped P18 and I was expecting P17.  Thanks for the help.

Follow up question.  Anyone on here from Iowa?  Would like to know if Iowa uses the engine number or body number as the VIN number? The P17 I'm looking at has the body number (driver side plate on the door).  I've only  been around Kansas titles and, at least for P15's, use the engine number.  Thanks

Edited by p15-1948

Thank you, makes sense as that is the same number used on the car I'm looking at in SE Iowa.  I know each state has it's own system just wasn't sure what Iowa used.  Had a title issue with an out of state P15 once I'd I'd like to avoid that if possible.  Thanks again!

Edited by p15-1948

Not that it matters now anymore, but I think that it's pretty clear from the original MoPar service books that they intended that the Serial Number be used to identify the vehicle, not the body tag (on the firewall), or the frame or engine numbers.  But it's helpful to hear which states used other numbers, to maybe eventually be able to predict which might have been used, based on where the car spent its life.  I wish I had known that Nebraska used the engine/frame number before I scrapped the blown engine block (had a hole in the side) out of a car I have from there.  It might have helped in getting a replacement title for it.

Edited by Eneto-55

Washington used the engine number at least thru the middle 50's.

16 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Not that it matters now anymore, but I think that it's pretty clear from the original MoPar service books that they intended that the Serial Number be used to identify the vehicle, not the body tag (on the firewall), or the frame or engine numbers.  But it's helpful to hear which states used other numbers, to maybe eventually be able to predict which might have been used, based on where the car spent its life.  I wish I had known that Nebraska used the engine/frame number before I scrapped the blown engine block (had a hole in the side) out of a car I have from there.  It might have helped in getting a replacement title for it.

By serial number you're referring to the tag on the driver side door post?  Thanks

Edited by p15-1948

8 hours ago, p15-1948 said:

I may not have been clear enough about the Nebraska engine.  I don't remember what number the Nebraska title had on it, guess it was the engine number as I had to go back and get it to verify for the Kansas folks it matched the car.  It could have been Nebraska used the body number and I needed the block for Kansas to issue a title nearly 25 years ago.  The gal in Kansas looked at the frame number, I had clear coated it when I painted the frame, and she would not accept that for verification.  She wanted to see the engine number.

For clarification: I guess I hadn't noticed any reference to Nebraska in your posts - some time back, in another thread, I was informed that Nebraska used the engine number, not the serial number.  I just mentioned Nebraska because that's where I have been affected by this difference in what number was used on titles in different states.  I was accustomed to Oklahoma practice, where the SN was used, so when I wrote Nebraska for a lost title (about 13 years ago), I only submitted the SN and the last license plate number.  (Nebraska also required that the registration papers be attached to the steering column, but unfortunately that was missing on the car I bought out of a salvage there.  I bought the car in 1981, and as I was working on cleaning up the engine, discovered a hole in the side of the crankcase, so I just saved re-usable parts, and scrapped the block.  I need to get the frame number and try again, but it is stored in a state other than where I live, so it will have to wait until I get out there before I can submit another title search request with Nebraska.)

My conundrum is this. my TX title has my engine number on it.  I plan to build a spare 230 to swap in and spare my original 218 my lead foot.  But then no number on the vehicle will match the title and during the annual inspection they are supposed to check that. 

I might have to go down to the DMV and see about what can be done to get it changed to the actual VIN on the door jamb.  Either that or I get to play swap an engine every year for inspection.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sniper said:

My conundrum is this. my TX title has my engine number on it.  I plan to build a spare 230 to swap in and spare my original 218 my lead foot.  But then no number on the vehicle will match the title and during the annual inspection they are supposed to check that. 

I might have to go down to the DMV and see about what can be done to get it changed to the actual VIN on the door jamb.  Either that or I get to play swap an engine every year for inspection.

The original engine number is stamped on the chassis rail near the left rear wheel.  You have to take off the left rear tire to get to it, and then clean dirt/rust/undercoating to see it.

• Like 1