bummer....if not one thing, its another

Plymouthy Adams

Drove over to my bud's place today to finish up a few task on a couple of his cars and got home in time to hit a lick at one of my projects...about 20 minutes along into the job I noticed I was loosing power in my air tool....stopped...compressor never caught up....walked across the back yard to the pump house, the compressor is not in the shops due to its noise, did not sound quite right...pressure would not bust 63PSI....turned it off...killed the power, no compression when turning the flywheel.  Pulled the head....blown head gasket, reeds are excellent, piston will suck your arms out of their shoulder sockets...hopefully the compressor shop in town has these on hand.  Service only in a kit though....buy more than needed...this is PAY TO PLAY  By design, this particular head is predestined to blow and I assure you it will always blow in this manner, this same spot...the previous head designs were much better.  If I recall years ago on my other compressor I had to do a head upgrade on it.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Just now, Sniper said:

Well, at least it wasn't a thrown rod

Weeeel, a thrown rod you know how to proceed.

In this case it may be this ... or it may be that or we could try this ... or we may need all 3.

Then you have to wonder how much effort & time to put in it ... before it does throw a Rod.

I am a cheap bastard and fix everything. Sometimes is not wise.

It is not being cheap if you have the ability to make repairs in the proper manner and not jerry rigged...jerry rigging is the postponement of the inevitable.  This action is called repairs, maintenance is the actions taken in form of periodic adjustments, proper lube schedule etc. to allow for a longer MTBF.  As long as your repairs are cost effective you benefit over replacement.  In many cases where items are not made nearly as well in the past decades....you are way ahead of the game doing repairs.  Buying an item of significant 'reputation' usually yields a longer availability of replacement parts.  Pay to Play is always part of the equation.

I had a gasket go on the business's compressor years ago.  Tried to get a replacement and found out the company had been bought up and my model promptly discontinued.  Gaskets were no longer available so I made two, 1 for a spare.  Worked for a while until the motor seized.  The thermal limit switch didn't work on it.  Fortunately I was there to shut the power off.

I have a 7 year old Sanborn  60 gallon upright. Sparingly used over the years. About 2 years ago the motor began to turn slower. Now almost won't star unless it is over 50 Degrees.  Looked at prices and so far the cost of another motor is almost as much as I paid for the compressor in the first place.

did you price that motor by dimension and frame count or by HP as they will rate a smaller motor to be that of 5HP but in fact it is a far cry from 5HP....the key word in the a blurb sheet is 'rated/develops' 

this compressor of mine is a Campbell Hausfeld, it has been in service almost 24/7 (powered up and runs as needed) for 10 years and 10 months to the day since I put it in service.  I am not complaining as it will be as before with a new gasket....it was the timing....I am now dead in the water, well not really I got a back up 40 gallon unit sitting by but it is 110V direct drive and oil less, not my idea of a working compressor, only an occasional use standby....if they have this gasket in stock should be up and running high noon tomorrow.

The tools I use would kill the backup compressor in short order.  It is relatively new and was a gift to me along with a MIG welder.  I use this in the other shop away from the main meat and potato production area.

got lucky, local had it....kit had been broken into already and parts missing....the head gasket was in the kit....3.21 with tax...they sure did me a solid with that one.  These guys have been good folks to deal with for many years now.  

oh yeah.....am up and running might I add.....

12 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I have a 7 year old Sanborn  60 gallon upright. Sparingly used over the years. About 2 years ago the motor began to turn slower. Now almost won't star unless it is over 50 Degrees.  Looked at prices and so far the cost of another motor is almost as much as I paid for the compressor in the first place.

I'm another one of those Old is Better guys, so I would suggest taking the motor apart and cleaning out the old grease & re-lubing (and replace the brushes if necessary).  (As far as old is better goes, I have an oscillating fan that is probably over 100 years old, and it still runs fine, and is pretty quite, too.)

10 years old? Heck that thing is barely broke in by my standards  :)

I was thinking about buying a air compressor from a estate sale. Was pretty old, kid swore his father was still using it. I could probably still get it for $50 or less.

Just to move it would need to hire a tow truck and have it lifted and then delivered. Compression on the pump seemed pretty low I felt would make a fun project to rebuild.

It was well over a 100 gallon Horizontal tank, 220 motor. It lived outside the garage under a dog house, would have to be same here.

Still happy I walked away from it.

some things are worth repairing given you get in at the right price and have the time to mess with it or rather should I say if you have fun doing this type stuff....I am basically online with my rebuilt lift and with the compressor back up and running, am back to the clean up of my rolling jacks.  Sad part is, so far some parts are not in stock....questionable delivery date given they try to replenish it seems.  So appears I will be back at the lathe for a few items an on the brake for a couple others...

4 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I'm another one of those Old is Better guys, so I would suggest taking the motor apart and cleaning out the old grease & re-lubing (and replace the brushes if necessary).  (As far as old is better goes, I have an oscillating fan that is probably over 100 years old, and it still runs fine, and is pretty quite, too.)

I suspect it is a Chinese made motor and I am looking to see if anyone around here rebuilds and repairs them. Gonna get serious come Spring. I don’t use it like I used to but it is still nice to have

Edited by plymouthcranbrook