Finally getting around to introduce myself...

ccudahy

8 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I did some work on the QuadCab a few years ago, and the alignment guy forgot to adequately tighten all of the adjustments, something I didn't find out for a few hundred miles of highway driving until the truck wanted to veer into oncoming traffic on a regular basis.  After the alignment was reset, I went back a few hundred miles later with the same problem, swapped sides of the front tires, and the pull went the other way...so those brand new tires had gotten the radial pull, not eligible for road hazard warranty claim (which was a load of baloney), so I had them put those tires on the rear for 25k miles, which helped with steering but reduced the treadwear...something to bear in mind on steering issues :cool:

JBNeal thanks for the tip will keep that also in mind this spring when we get to the steering issues!

Since everyone was so helpful with the steering suggestion and giving me hints on how to pull the rear drums. Thanks again!

I am thinking about freshening up the distributor. After reading about motors stumbling when the throttle is opened I think the vacuum advance needs a rebuild. I know years ago I needed a rebuilt dizzy for my Slant 6. That really woke that baby up!

Anything besides the vacuum advance, bushings, points, condenser, cap & rotor to worry about checking? 

That sounds like a good winter project for inside. Just pay attention to where the rotor is pointing when you pull it out so that it goes back in the same way. 

Check for bushing wear. Clean and inspect the advance weights and springs. Clean and inspect the points plate and associated advance mechanisms. Test the vac advance unit with a vacuum pump to see if it holds. If not replace it. Kanter has replacement units. They're pricey, but seem to be good quality. I've been running one on my truck for a few years now. Then just reassemble with new points, condenser, rotor and cap. Then you have your spring tune-up half done. ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...