Finally getting around to introduce myself...

ccudahy

Finally getting around to introduce myself. I have post on some topics already cause I thought I had something to add, and wanted to return the favor. I have learned a lot since finding this forum.

I purchased a new-to-me 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe, on August 14, 2020, from a 90 year old gentleman in Ohio. I don't know much about the car, because he couldn't remember much about the car. He did say it was just like the one his aunt had, that he drove her to shopping and church in and always liked. Also, that he had not had it long and it was from California. Only bad things that he could remember was it pulled to the left, and the wiper motor didn't work and was removed. We (My wife, stepdaughter, and myself) took it for a test drive were the water pump decided to grenaded and puke coolant about 3 blocks from his house. We got it back and it was in such nice shape, despite the few problems we bought it. Had it transported back to Wisconsin.  

Then the fun started. So far, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, clamps, and flushed and filled the coolant system. Got to really drive it (1-1/2 miles), yes it pulls horribly to the left. Also the battery didn't seem like it was charging after starting and turn off the engine 4 or 5 times (not in a row). So, started doing research and found your helpful group. Changed battery cables to 3/0 welding cables. That lead to having the generator tested, it worked. Decided since it was out put new bearing, bushing and brushes in it. Also, bought a new regulator and had it tested with the generator. The regulator was good but the shop said it should be adjusted it was not putting out enough at operating temperature. The shop adjusted voltage output, and cutout amperage. 

That takes up today. Still need to put the generator and back in and get it to repeat what was seen on the test machine. Need to install a new wiper motor. Need to get the headlights, parking lights, taillights working correct to install turn signals, Then the steering issues. So, probably soon will be picking your brains. 

Thanks,

Cory

P.S. - The few things I definitely have learned on this forum are to have P-15 Shop manual, P-15 Parts manual, Owners manual, and MoTor's manual. Which I have. Also how to use the forum search and I have.?

963586411_Online1.jpg.2116f15de99a28fbed9dd670ade9dc53.jpg2014366785_Online2.jpg.079dd894cd14ee642647400947e6d36b.jpg1777424711_Online3.jpg.32cb13620ec8b861a5a991561d4d66fa.jpg370813415_1947Plymouth(GarageStairs).jpg.a175f49e95255413cca09f7e1b2c87da.jpg

• Like 10

1 minute ago, RobertKB said:

Very nice looking ride! You will really enjoy it once bug removal has taken place. Lots of willing helpers on this great forum!

Thanks, and I know the shake down bug removal process occurs with every new purchase. Sometimes ends up being more than what was expected. Great to have found this forum and all the advice. 

9 minutes ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

that thing is primo. youre on the right path

Thanks, Its really a 15 footer in person, it has a lot of paint chips and some road rash. She does take a good picture though.

It’s hard to take a bad photo of an old Moapr. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction. You’ll love it here. This is thee worldwide  home for flathead Mopars.  Many helpful, kind folks here. Its a great community to be a part of. 

There are no dumb questions. Ask all you need. Folks will help you.  

Nice car! Enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ccudahy said:

Finally getting around to introduce myself. I have post on some topics already cause I thought I had something to add, and wanted to return the favor. I have learned a lot since finding this forum.

I purchased a new-to-me 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe, on August 14, 2020, from a 90 year old gentleman in Ohio. I don't know much about the car, because he couldn't remember much about the car. He did say it was just like the one his aunt had, that he drove her to shopping and church in and always liked. Also, that he had not had it long and it was from California. Only bad things that he could remember was it pulled to the left, and the wiper motor didn't work and was removed. We (My wife, stepdaughter, and myself) took it for a test drive were the water pump decided to grenaded and puke coolant about 3 blocks from his house. We got it back and it was in such nice shape, despite the few problems we bought it. Had it transported back to Wisconsin.  

Then the fun started. So far, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, clamps, and flushed and filled the coolant system. Got to really drive it (1-1/2 miles), yes it pulls horribly to the left. Also the battery didn't seem like it was charging after starting and turn off the engine 4 or 5 times (not in a row). So, started doing research and found your helpful group. Changed battery cables to 3/0 welding cables. That lead to having the generator tested, it worked. Decided since it was out put new bearing, bushing and brushes in it. Also, bought a new regulator and had it tested with the generator. The regulator was good but the shop said it should be adjusted it was not putting out enough at operating temperature. The shop adjusted voltage output, and cutout amperage. 

That takes up today. Still need to put the generator and back in and get it to repeat what was seen on the test machine. Need to install a new wiper motor. Need to get the headlights, parking lights, taillights working correct to install turn signals, Then the steering issues. So, probably soon will be picking your brains. 

Thanks,

Cory

P.S. - The few things I definitely have learned on this forum are to have P-15 Shop manual, P-15 Parts manual, Owners manual, and MoTor's manual. Which I have. Also how to use the forum search and I have.?

963586411_Online1.jpg.2116f15de99a28fbed9dd670ade9dc53.jpg2014366785_Online2.jpg.079dd894cd14ee642647400947e6d36b.jpg1777424711_Online3.jpg.32cb13620ec8b861a5a991561d4d66fa.jpg370813415_1947Plymouth(GarageStairs).jpg.a175f49e95255413cca09f7e1b2c87da.jpg

Damn,but that's a pretty one.

Chanes are a front end alignment will take care of the "pulling problem",but IF the problem is related to some part of the steering sector being damaged or worn out,you need to replace that part NOW.

This would be MY number 1 priority if I were you. Number two would be getting the entire brake system rebuilt. Safety is everything,including economincal.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. The car is put away right now for the winter. Hard to work in the garage in the pictures (too small) and too cold to work in the driveway. This spring it will be looked at. Right now going for little projects that can be done in the basement.

Edited by ccudahy

18 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Chanes are a front end alignment will take care of the "pulling problem",but IF the problem is related to some part of the steering sector being damaged or worn out,you need to replace that part NOW.

This would be MY number 1 priority if I were you. Number two would be getting the entire brake system rebuilt. Safety is everything,including economincal.

Thanks for the advice. The car is put away right now for the winter. Hard to work in the garage in the pictures (too small) and too cold to work in the driveway. This spring it will be looked at. Right now going for little projects that can be done in the basement.

Edited by ccudahy

4 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Chanes are a front end alignment will take care of the "pulling problem",but IF the problem is related to some part of the steering sector being damaged or worn out,you need to replace that part 

I guess he didn't specify but my experience is pulling when braking and it's always been from contaminated brake shoes. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I guess he didn't specify but my experience is pulling when braking and it's always been from contaminated brake shoes. 

Thank for the tip.

The car actual pulls all the time, no different when braking. Stops nice. When the wheels are straight the steering wheel is off. I am thinking after read on this forum that the steering box is not centered. There is not a lot of excess freeplay in the steering wheel back and forth or up and down.

Welcome to the “family”. It’s good to see another Wisconsin member. Does your forum name reflect your name, nickname, or your location on the south side of MKE? I lived in the Milwaukee Metro area for close to 30 years before moving up to the Fox Valley a few years ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Very nice! If your car did not come with turn signals you will have to pull the housings front and rear for the turn signals as it only came with a single contact socket you need dual contact sockets and bulbs to have turn signals.

Thanks for the tip!

When the car came home the taillights and parking lights didn't work. Found out that the lights were unplugged from the connectors at the back of the headlight switch and the brake switch lost a clip and the wire fell out. Hooked everything back up and replaced the brake light switch. I seen someone already took the center brake and split it to run all 3 taillights but never put dual contact sockets in.

So that's another thing to add to the list of things to do, along with installing the turn signal switch assembly. A little intimidated by that, electric not my thing. I have a good friend who likes doing that stuff.

Edited by ccudahy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Young Ed said:

He didn't say it was while braking,and it SEEMED to me he was saying it pulls to the side all the time. Which is usually a bent tie rod or some other steering part gone wrong. Yeah,it IS a result of bad alignment,but the bad alignment is caused by the damaged or worn parts.

I did some work on the QuadCab a few years ago, and the alignment guy forgot to adequately tighten all of the adjustments, something I didn't find out for a few hundred miles of highway driving until the truck wanted to veer into oncoming traffic on a regular basis.  After the alignment was reset, I went back a few hundred miles later with the same problem, swapped sides of the front tires, and the pull went the other way...so those brand new tires had gotten the radial pull, not eligible for road hazard warranty claim (which was a load of baloney), so I had them put those tires on the rear for 25k miles, which helped with steering but reduced the treadwear...something to bear in mind on steering issues :cool:

• Thanks 1