1951 B3B VIN/Serial Number Plate Question

racertb64

Hopefully there is a clear answer to this question so I'm deferring to those more knowledgeable than me. Looking at buying a 51 B3B and the door jamb plate confirms this with the serial number. However, in the space next to the serial number it is clearly stamped B2B. Can anyone explain this as to why the serial number shows it as a 51 B3B built in Detroit but the plate says B2B on it?

Thanks in advance.

Resized_20201230_123251.jpeg

You can go to this website and try to decode your serial number, I can't make out exactly what it says completely.

https://www.townwagon.com/4853registry/index.php

What does the dash and grill look like? Does it match the styling changes of the B3 series? It’s possible that it was misrepresented. My B2C is registered as a ‘51. Likely because it was built in December of 1950 and probably sold in the spring or summer of 1951. 

Good looking truck .... seems doubtful is a low mileage survivor in that condition. More likely a older restoration.

What if it had a frame swap or a motor swap, in 70 years much can happen. Does it really matter? Proper paperwork would be important to me.

Back in these years, they used the engine # for the title. If engine got swapped it no longer matched. Unless one ground off the original # on new block and stamped in old # ... A lot of people did this. I met a old timer that did the exact same thing on stolen harleys ....Just saying, what does it mean?

My Uncle sold a 1946 chevy truck, new owner found out it was actually a 1942 Navy truck. Was 46 when the Navy sold it and issued it it's 1rst title.

Some states never bothered to title vehicles back in those days.

My whole point, you got a nice looking truck, it has clean title, registered, insured ... you going to kick it out of bed cause frame or engine # not match?

My opinion could be wrong. My truck has original title, engine, frame ... while my first 49 came from a farmer, had a 1937 motor, a 1/2 front ton axle on a 3/4 ton truck & a clean title.

It is an older restoration from what I've been told. It's not perfect, but overall very solid from what I can tell in all the pictures I've been sent. I don't want perfect anyway, but don't want a project either. I've got a 29 Plymouth Roadster that is close to perfect that I show. The truck would be more for fun.  It will be looking at it in person next week. The motor number does begin with T306, which I believe is in line with what it should be. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

https://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

According to this, is a 218 from 51-53 ... sounds right.

I had a 1952 parts truck I saw it had a motor started with a P, it was a 1952 motor. I was told sometimes at end of year they would use other engines to clear out old inventory before new year.

So just because the engine started with a P, was told could not rule out it was not original. Is this true? I read it on the internets.

Again just pointing out how they did so many screwy things back then.

ultimately, the truck's build card would need to be inspected to verify original engine and cab match the serial number...Eric has has done extensive research to verify sheet metal numbers along with the flathead engine numbers, so he might be interested in the verfied numbers if ya pull the trigger on this buggy and get it registered :cool:

If it's as good as it looks in pics or better in person, it should be a nice truck regardless.  But it would be nice if everything matched up though.  My main question was the tag with the serial number indicating a 51 B3B, but also showing B2B on the tag.  

4 minutes ago, racertb64 said:

If it's as good as it looks in pics or better in person, it should be a nice truck regardless.  But it would be nice if everything matched up though.  My main question was the tag with the serial number indicating a 51 B3B, but also showing B2B on the tag.  

I was going to point this out, seems like I missed it.

I specifically wanted a 1949 B1B with a flat 6/3 on the floor. I am a dummy that paid to much for a truck sight unseen ... I just asked they deliver it and pay for delivery.

I love my truck, but not what I expected.

Turns out my truck serial # ends with a X. This means it is a 1949, but it was sitting on the show room floor advertising all the 1950 upgrades.

This means I got the 3 on the tree, low side bed, the motor/trans is a 1950 .... Just saying in 1949 they used a X, maybe in 51 they did something different?

The stamped numbers look suspiciously large as far as I can tell from the picture compared to other tags in the wild I've collected.  Might be a resto repop that someone did and mucked up the numbers?

Numbers are lightly stamped on the drivers side of the frame behind the front wheel.

You'd have to exchange a lot of parts to go from a 1950 to a 1951-52.....

Cab is 51-53...has the wipers in the right location. (48-50 are more mid line)

Hood is 51-53....has the pronounced lip along the bottom. (48-50 are without the lip)

Grille of course isn't like the 48-50. 

My guess is the door tag is from another truck.

48D

skip to 7:30, on this video I made.....

Estrada MotorSports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Identification notes part 1    

Edited by 48Dodger