Thinking about swapping in a 3.9v6 in my 50 Meadowbrook

flint52

yes I saw that and I agree, for simplicity....it is the quick easy and often the cheapest way to get on the road....but there is that tug toward electronics that pull folks to that other slant....but don't try to push that blasted smart phone on me...I quickly get loud, subject to kicking and biting...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

On 1/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, allbizz49 said:

It boils down to is it worth the time, money and effort. Anything can be made to work. Chassis swap or even front frame swap probably isn't necessary. Why do all of that when you can fab up or even buy mounts? Is it going to be a daily driver or fair weather cruiser? Are you totally sold on the v6? If so, I would yank the flatty and start mocking up the new motor and tranny. Really.just simple hot rodding, guys have been doing it forever. A bit more satisfying when you're done and you did it yourself. I recall Mopar performance selling a roots supercharger for those 3.9s, haha.

Hey I agree 100% on a "NO TO" a complete frame or front sub frame swap. The IFS on this setup is real decent, add disc brakes too for your added safety and braking efficiency.

Lots of Rodders can and do these swaps, and sure you or OP can handle it too, but it aint necessary, up above and others have some more complicated ideas, that are okay, but far from whats needed for these cars.

I also lean toward a V8 on this 318/360 or 5.7 L HEMI..

Edited by 55 Fargo

On 1/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, flint52 said:

Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it. To answer a few questions. 

Am i dead set on the 3.9 - no, i am just trying to find an economical powerplant for the 50 and cant see spending a few grand on the old flathead

What is the purpose of the car - just a fair weather cruiser to drive around when its nice, have a big block dart if i want to go fast

Frame Swap? Probably not as i just want a decent cruiser, i've rebuilt the front suspension, added disc brakes and a dual master for safety all before the flathead went

all in all just want to get the 50 back up and running as its been a few years. 

Ryan

Ryan, if you already have front end rebuilt with Disc Brakes, all good to go. I say go for it get the 3.9 mocked up and into the car....

Hey Plymouthy Adams, I wanted to give you our latest flathead decision as you are where we were just a few months ago, Sept 2020.  My son and I are building a 51 Coronet Coupe for his high school ride and he wanted to keep it as nostalgic as possible.  For that reason, we scrapped the V motor idea and kept the flathead 230. Basically, we rebuilt it in our garage.  Now I will say that there was a learning curve but lots of help came from the awesome brains in this forum.  If there is any reason to keep what you have, I believe it is originality and the nostalgia if that means anything to you.  Now, everyone likes a fresh new V motor, but there are very few flatheads left, at least at car shows in our area in Tucson.  From a cost perspective, we spent about $2500 on our rebuild.  About $1,200 of that amount was to the engine shop for cleaning, .30 over bore, cam and crank polish, head and block work, cam bearing install, new valve guides, and freeze plugs.  The rest was for the new pistons, bearings, lifters, springs, valves, gaskets, pumps, engine paint, fluids, etc that we used to completely rebuild the motor in our garage. We used the original rods. Basically, we have a brand new original 230+ flathead in our 51 Dodge.  We added air conditioning from Vintage Air and a 12v system so it'll be a fun car for him through his high school years.  The beauty is that it bolted right back in and we didn't have to reposition anything. I hope this helps at least a little.  Dan 

39 minutes ago, Dan Heston said:

Hey Plymouthy Adams, I wanted to give you our latest flathead decision as you are where we were just a few months ago, Sept 2020.  My son and I are building a 51 Coronet Coupe for his high school ride and he wanted to keep it as nostalgic as possible.  For that reason, we scrapped the V motor idea and kept the flathead 230. Basically, we rebuilt it in our garage.  Now I will say that there was a learning curve but lots of help came from the awesome brains in this forum.  If there is any reason to keep what you have, I believe it is originality and the nostalgia if that means anything to you.  Now, everyone likes a fresh new V motor, but there are very few flatheads left, at least at car shows in our area in Tucson.  From a cost perspective, we spent about $2500 on our rebuild.  About $1,200 of that amount was to the engine shop for cleaning, .30 over bore, cam and crank polish, head and block work, cam bearing install, new valve guides, and freeze plugs.  The rest was for the new pistons, bearings, lifters, springs, valves, gaskets, pumps, engine paint, fluids, etc that we used to completely rebuild the motor in our garage. We used the original rods. Basically, we have a brand new original 230+ flathead in our 51 Dodge.  We added air conditioning from Vintage Air and a 12v system so it'll be a fun car for him through his high school years.  The beauty is that it bolted right back in and we didn't have to reposition anything. I hope this helps at least a little.  Dan 

I think you have me confused with someone else...