Thinking about swapping in a 3.9v6 in my 50 Meadowbrook

flint52

Hello, i have a 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook with the 230 and fluid drive transmission. The body and interior are in great shape. The engine/transmission are not. I've been looking for a rebuilt flathead for some time and have not been successful and i dont believe it makes financial sense to rebuild the 230 flathead. I can pick up a 2wd 99 dakota with the 3.9 and automatic transmission for relatively cheap and the running gear is in great shape. Just transfer the engine/transmission over with the wiring harness. I see butches has mounts for the mopar SB's which should be the same for the 3.9. Not interested in massaging a V8 in there. Just looking for a good cruiser, am I over simplifying this or completely missing anything? 

Thanks

Ryan

What is the cost for a computer that controls motor and trans without all the extras that the Dakota had, or someone able to reprogram the computer(s) as needed. Many early had two- - one for motor and second for the trans. Most will not work without mods. Hopefully Plymouthy -a forum member has a answer or two about some of this as he has put Mopar 8's with computers in his old car/truck.

This small (BIG at times) may cost more than any money saved by the changeover?

Have you checked the Butches motor mounts actually fit the 6's by calling them?

DJ

11 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

What is the cost for a computer that controls motor and trans without all the extras that the Dakota had, or someone able to reprogram the computer(s) as needed. Many early had two- - one for motor and second for the trans. Most will not work without mods. Hopefully Plymouthy -a forum member has a answer or two about some of this as he has put Mopar 8's with computers in his old car/truck.

This small (BIG at times) may cost more than any money saved by the changeover?

Have you checked the Butches motor mounts actually fit the 6's by calling them?

DJ

DJ thanks for the quick reply, with the wiring i was thinking about just using it as is as its a fairly basic truck (no power windows/doors/etc) especially since i have the whole truck. I haven't checked with Butches but honestly if they dont i feel pretty comfortable making my own. the electrical on the other hand i'll have to take some extra time on before modifying anything. 

The 3.9l v6 is essentially a 318 missing two cylinders.

The 3.9L V6 uses the same mounts as the V8.  the front of the engine will be in the same place as the v8, the rear will be about 4" farther forward though.  Since the 3.9 only came in trucks it only has a rear sump oil pan available, moved 4" forwards, that might be an issue. 

Edited by Sniper
should of looked at year of donor

Just put a v8 in there if you are going to a swap. It's really not that hard. Like sniper said, 3.9 is just a shorter LA motor. Whatever you do, ditch the injection and put a carburetor in it's place. Less wiring to deal with. 

• Like 1

I don't think there is a ready to use carb intake for a 99 3.9l motor.  For the pre Magnum versions Mopar made a 4bbl intake, P4452114 that is long been discontinued,  The early years of the pre Magnum came with a 2bbl.  Both can be made to fit the later Magnum version of this V6 by redrilling the intake manifold mounting bolt holes.

I don't think chucking the injection would be a disservice.  Carbs are great if you're willing to take the time to tune them. **** ECUs have left me stranded more than once on motorcycles. My carb stuff has never failed me. None of my cars are new enough to have them but computer controlled anything is destined to fail. That's been my experience at least. I say if you want an injected v6 in your ride, go for it but there are other options.  Good luck and have fun with it.

I am still running a 47 year old original fuel injection system today.....injectors, CPU and fuel pump.....albeit I installed a inline check valve on the fuel supply as the original internal pump mounted valve is now bypassing with age....whoop-t-do 7.00 fix with one extra valve for glovebox...all metal construction also....of course you service the hoses when they get some age as you would with any fuel system.  Any fuel system have their issues and can leave you stranded and any can be the cause of an engine bay fire...it all boils down to what you are comfortable with working on.  Some systems are slung together for production purposes and some are designed and built extremely well.  Agree on the single point that most carbs you can limp home on....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

It boils down to is it worth the time, money and effort. Anything can be made to work. Chassis swap or even front frame swap probably isn't necessary. Why do all of that when you can fab up or even buy mounts? Is it going to be a daily driver or fair weather cruiser? Are you totally sold on the v6? If so, I would yank the flatty and start mocking up the new motor and tranny. Really.just simple hot rodding, guys have been doing it forever. A bit more satisfying when you're done and you did it yourself. I recall Mopar performance selling a roots supercharger for those 3.9s, haha.

• Like 1

I wish I had taken some pictures the a mod that I saw at a car show in Minnesota.  The guy took front body and motor off of a 48 Plymouth.  Cut the frame mid-engine and took a dakota front frame and over-lapped them (one fit inside the other) and he just left the 318 on the dakota frame.  He had to cut and weld on the firewall.  He used the automatic trans and the rear axle, front suspenison and made had a driveshaft made.

Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it. To answer a few questions. 

Am i dead set on the 3.9 - no, i am just trying to find an economical powerplant for the 50 and cant see spending a few grand on the old flathead

What is the purpose of the car - just a fair weather cruiser to drive around when its nice, have a big block dart if i want to go fast

Frame Swap? Probably not as i just want a decent cruiser, i've rebuilt the front suspension, added disc brakes and a dual master for safety all before the flathead went

all in all just want to get the 50 back up and running as its been a few years. 

Ryan

• Like 1

I'm in the V8 camp simply for simplicity of parts. I'd even look at the 4.7 pieces.

The electronics can be a puzzle unless you are steeped in the processes.  If the trans is a 42RH then it will be easier than an 'RE' to work with.

Good luck

2 hours ago, derbydad276 said:

there is a reason they quit putting carburetors on cars over 30 years ago...

I'm actually thinking 3.9 also but he only way I would do it is to get a whole truck like you did 

.https://www.hotwireauto.com/chrysler-harnesses

They quit putting drum brakes on cars a while ago too. How about ABS and satellite navigation? You running four wheel discs? How about points and generators? My daily has all of the above plus bias tires. 10k plus a year not counting my carbed bikes that I ride on the regular. What's your point? Carburetor was a suggestion to keep it simple. Why have an old car just to.modernize the **** out of it? The beauty of an old car is that it's old.........

• Like 2

10 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

They quit putting drum brakes on cars a while ago too. How about ABS and satellite navigation? You running four wheel discs? How about points and generators? My daily has all of the above plus bias tires. 10k plus a year not counting my carbed bikes that I ride on the regular. What's your point? Carburetor was a suggestion to keep it simple. Why have an old car just to.modernize the **** out of it? The beauty of an old car is that it's old.........

to that end and as you see it your are 100% correct...to the other side of the owners you miss their point completely...I for one love the body styles...if stock and running...will stay stock...but 95% of the time I buy bodies with no running gear...I have no heartburn modifying any more than it bothers me to see a stock unit.