First Drive of 2021

RobertKB

Living in southern Alberta, Canada, I don’t often get to drive one of my old cars in January. However, so far, this has been what we call an “open” winter. Warm temperatures for us. Above freezing most days and often in to the 40’s or 50’s. Very little snow with roads very decent. I’ve had one of my old cars out quite often through November and December. I had the ‘48 Dodge D25 club coupe out today so this was my first drive of 2021. Woohoo!!

68A600C3-DADF-4BB0-8A13-DC778E8ED79D.jpeg.bc06f4b768f39185b86a39d1bba1f48f.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sidevalvepete said:

Man, that car looks great!

Thanks! It’s literally a “junk yard dog” which was missing many parts when I bought it in 1976 from our local auto wrecker. Two engines, two paint jobs, and a lot of other work  and elbow grease over the years brings it to today. 

38F6E7E3-B4D8-4143-B421-3D951D84FD3D.jpeg.9710f673b62aeca7bcd02f13587a2fa0.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

You guys...Packing up and getting together with old Mopars. I am jealous. I long for a local Mopar buddy.  Not found one yet. 

I have a new goal. Make one of my old Mopars drivable to Southern Alberta! A summer trip would be dandy. 

Edited by keithb7

On 1/8/2021 at 4:52 PM, RobertKB said:

Living in southern Alberta, Canada, I don’t often get to drive one of my old cars in January. However, so far, this has been what we call an “open” winter. Warm temperatures for us. Above freezing most days and often in to the 40’s or 50’s. Very little snow with roads very decent. I’ve had one of my old cars out quite often through November and December. I had the ‘48 Dodge D25 club coupe out today so this was my first drive of 2021. Woohoo!!

68A600C3-DADF-4BB0-8A13-DC778E8ED79D.jpeg.bc06f4b768f39185b86a39d1bba1f48f.jpeg

Southern Canada????? That's just wrong.  I'm just north of Minneapolis

Jan 9 2021b (1).jpg

You have given me the idea to take my old Chrysler out tomorrow. If the weather is fine I will. There is no snow left in the valley. There’s a little bit up where I live. Roads are great though. I’ll report back tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Southern Canada????? That's just wrong.  I'm just north of Minneapolis

Jan 9 2021b (1).jpg

It is most unusual. January is usually the coldest month of the year and can be brutally cold at times with lots of snow. VERY occasionally you get an “open” winter which is milder like it is now. This is southern Alberta (north of Montana) but I don’t know about elsewhere in Canada. 

We’ll probably get some crap weather at some point but I’m enjoying what we have now. 

Edited by RobertKB

7 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

You have given me the idea to take my old Chrysler out tomorrow. If the weather is fine I will. There is no snow left in the valley. There’s a little bit up where I live. Roads are great though. I’ll report back tomorrow. 

You’ll enjoy it! Looking forward to pictures!

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Thanks to you guys we are forecast to get snow tomorrow.

I live in west Texas for crying out loud.  Might have to move to Papua New Guinea or something.

We’re driving in January in Canada. Snow free roads. It’s snowing in Texas. Lol. Can’t say that very often. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

We’re driving in January in Canada. Snow free roads. It’s snowing in Texas. Lol. Can’t say that very often. 

Actually the Texas panhandle and Amarillo can get cold and snowy. But it don't last long Im sure.

Just now, 55 Fargo said:

Actually the Texas panhandle and Amarillo can get cold and snowy. But it don't last long Im sure.

If I live in the panhandle, I'm 5.5 hours south of Amarillo, I would expect it.  But there is a reason I don;t live there. 

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Just to honor my Canadian friends, if we do get snow I'll go drive in it.

I say if because I am reminded of what my father used to say to me "little boys who lie grow up to be weathermen".

Funny... senior Canadian climatologist up here so far calling it bang on...real good liar...lol

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

If I live in the panhandle, I'm 5.5 hours south of Amarillo, I would expect it.  But there is a reason I don;t live there. 

How would yall like about 20 hours due north of Amarillo where I live...lol

I would guess about 1200 miles or so north of Amarillo..

I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan, arctic breezes whistling down from Canada picking up moisture to dump on me was a childhood memory I do not care to relive.  I was a paper boy back in my youth and I still vividly remember trudging thru chest deep snow delivering the paper during the blizzard of '79.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Thanks to you guys we are forecast to get snow tomorrow.

I live in west Texas for crying out loud.  Might have to move to Papua New Guinea or something.

Jan or Feb I have to get off the road because of a snow strom in Sweetwater on my way to fort Bliss.