Removing clutch/brake pedal assembly

Mertz

Something is wrong with the physics of how this goes together. I’m probably missing something easy but right now it makes no sense.  I have removed the keyed adjuster bracket and spring retainer bracket and the brake rod but there is no way that the pedals are going to slide off the shaft because of the floor board. The shaft only moves about 3/4” to the passenger side. The engine is ready to come out except for the pedal assembly in the way. The manual just says to remove it. 

I couldnt get mine apart either. I did manage to get clutch pedal off, but brake pedal was a no go. I even unbolted the shaft bushing housing on the bellhousing. I wasnt removing engine, trying to get my pedal boots installed. 

13 minutes ago, dcotant said:

I think you have to remove the floor board(s). At least the toe kick ones.

Mine were off. And i jacked up cab. Still no way to get brake pedal off shaft. 

Edited by Tooljunkie

If it goes together it has to come apart. I have hit the floor board bolts with liquid wrench in case that is the solution but I don’t think there is enough movement with it loose. If it can’t come off with no floor boards loosening them probably won’t help. 

With the floor boards and the steering column out, the brake pedal should slide right over.

I had to take my engine out with the pedals still attached since my dad and his buddy couldn't find the retainer bracket, so they welded the clutch pedal to the shaft. Can't blame him too much--that fix worked for 30 years until I wanted to disassemble it.

Here's mine right after reinstallation. I remember having to take out the steering column after this to remove the pedals later for some reason or another.

image.png.fcb9efcfbefe1014fefc33122c465995.png

The floor boards on my truck capture both pedals and the steering column in the floor boards. I would have to cut the top of each hole to remove the floor boards. That is something I don’t want to do. It had to go in so it has to come out. Can I take the bell housing of from the engine with it in the truck?

I found the draft gaskets online but wasn’t sure how they would go on without removing the pedals and steering column. Mine still have the draft seals on the shafts but are in pretty bad shape but still there. Cutting the seals would make them easy to install. 

8 hours ago, Mertz said:

I found the draft gaskets online but wasn’t sure how they would go on without removing the pedals and steering column. Mine still have the draft seals on the shafts but are in pretty bad shape but still there. Cutting the seals would make them easy to install. 

Which i did. As i mentioned the clutch pedal came out,and i tore the seal when i tried to install it. Urethane and a small black ziptie and it was all done, so brake pedal stayed in and i cut the seal. It has a groove the zip tie fit in so it worked out ok. 
i had the column out before this,and i wasnt willing to take it out again. 

I got in and got a closer look and see that the floor boards will have to come out or loosened and pulled back. I still have the cardboard kick panel so I didn’t see that the floor board is open at the top at the pedals and steering column.  I’m soaking the screws and hopefully they come out.