King pin removal

Mertz

Just the same here about 1 hour ago ... like TodFitch I used the vise as a spindle press.

Also like the colleagues a socket ("A" in the picture).

I stopped my first attempt when I had a pretty good pre-load and also heat (190 - 210° F)  and nothing moved. Did not want to damage the spindle.

Second attempt with an additional support piece (U-profile, "B" in the picture) and also a little heat. Bushing ("C") relatively easy came then out.spindle_bushing.jpg.c90d5665d3adcac050e6a278eb9c4044.jpg

Good success, also.

The vise didn’t work for me. The walls of the bushings are thin from wear and can’t get a socket on it and I could not apply enough pressure with the vise. Heat did not help. I put a hacksaw in the opening and cut 2 sides of the bushing almost through then tried a sharp punch to get behind the bushing. It just broke off small pieces. I tried the punch in the bolt hole and managed to break of a piece but didn’t loosen anything. I think I’m going to have to take them to someone with a press. 

You may want to purchase what is called a cape chisel with is made for pealing bushings out of bores. It has a different shape than most chisels and is not really uncommon so that you should be able to purchase for less or $10 locally at least - - a tools supplier, welding supply houses, etc.

DJ

If you have an air hammer, a muffler/exhaust pipe ripper chisel works well.  Better if you grind some of the depth off the rip portion so is isn't so aggressive.154400_2000x2000.jpg

Those come in two general types, the right one for this use looks like the left on in this set:

Unfortunately I don’t have an air hammer. Could I use one of these with a hammer?  What size cape chisel?

I got them out. I did not expect them to be steel. I thought for sure they would be bronze. I modified a punch to make a small cape chisel. It broke on the third bushing so I reshaped into a shorter one. The last one came out whole. I had a deeper cut with the small hack saw and hit it with the chisel next to the cut. There was some scarring but I took a hone to it to smooth out the bore. 948908AB-8D9E-404F-B093-CFC1DC35AD28.jpeg.73cd4765facab5989c702fd1c2062cb0.jpegF60CB494-E6E8-4B6D-8905-07A15AF42393.jpeg.5e122ff0ca56bc3925e5730a14539bcc.jpeg

• Like 1

Steel backed bronze/brass bushings.

2 hours ago, Mertz said:

Must not have had any bronze left. They were pretty worn. 

Victory is yours, yes they can be a pain in the butt.