Transmission removal

Mertz

I’m getting ready to remove the transmission on my 1940 truck. I have everything loose and built a cradle for my large floor jack. 2 bottom bolts are out and the top ones loose. I removed 2 bolts that hold on the pedal assembly but there appears to be a “shaft” inside the transmission. How deep is that shaft and will it interfere with the removal of the transmission?  Do I need to remove the pedal springs?

Thanks

I think the shaft you refer to is the clutch shaft. You should be separating the transmission from the bellhousing so there is no need to do anything with the brake and clutch pedals. There should be 4 bolts that attach the trans to the bell housing. Once they are removed, along with the drive shaft and such, the trans should slide right out. If you are attempting to remove the bell housing with the trans you will fail. The bell housing wraps in behind the flywheel and won't come off without removing the flywheel first, which involved removing the trans and clutch. 

• Like 2

Thanks. It is so dirty under there I didn’t see the joint between the transmission and the bell housing. I got the trans out just fine. I assume I will have to remove the pedal assembly to pull the engine. 

Don't forget about the floor shifter...

Floor panel has to be removed to be able to pull the trans back the 10" or so...then drop it down.

3 speed I assume.

Hand brake and shifter were removed awhile back. That’s when I discovered it’s a 4 speed. I pulled the tranny almost straight back until it hit the cross member. Then dropped it down to pull it out from under the truck.  My cradle did not hold it exactly level so I will have to modify it a bit for the install. 

• Like 1

Hey Mertz,

What does the tranny cradle you made look like? I'm going to pull mine soon for an check/overhaul & cleaning and would like to avoid renting a tranny jack or dropping it on me...

From a newbie - (first old Dodge Truck rebuild.)

4F009086-6042-4F0B-B201-66AE42DBAA70.jpeg.bbc32f270d5144d9711b18c3abf72515.jpeg3747D142-4C7C-4AFB-95C1-AB61CAC446B9.jpeg.212cd0b631bc42af2432df98702571d4.jpegHere are some pics of the cradle with the trans.  I get some more without the trans. 

• Like 1