replace p20 , 218 #4 intake valve

Jc Deluxe P20

my  valve  spring  compressor  won't  work  with  intake/exhaust  manifolds  in  place  . Can  i  buy  a  valve  spring  compressor  that  will  work  ??  I  don't  want  to  remove  

the  manifolds  unless  it's  a  last  resort

I am thinking you will need to drop the manifold for the best access..by the time you try to fight this in another manner you will come out ahead with the removal...further, this will be a prime time to visit all the valves for condition, lapping if needed and assurance of a good gasket seal on the manifold when complete.  Be careful to remove all bolts....if you split the manifold...remember your sequence of tightening on reassembly, the halves are tightened last.

I've got a really old valve spring compressor originally intended for tractors that's intended to do the job with manifolds in place.  So they exist, but I've had mine about 30 years and didn't get it new.  Acquired it in a farming community.  Aside from that semi-useless bit of info, I echo PA's recommendations.

i  appreciate  y'alls  input  .  Dan ,  is  it   possible / feasible  to  take  a  picture  of  your  compressor  and  post  it  ?? or  email  direct  .  so  i  might  begin  a  search  for  one .

this  recently  acquired  p20  149653  engine  in  my  50  plym deluxe  4d   has  0.060  pistons  with  no  ring  groove  and  would  be  an  excellent  engine  except

improper  storage  and  a    pesky  mud  dobber  nest  in  the  intake  manifold  that  when  the PO tried  to  start  the  engine  ultimately  damaged  the  #4  intake  valve .

This KD style spring compressor usually always works on all the MoPar flatheads.

KD MoPar valve spring compressor.JPG

Dan  ,  stop  looking  ,  turns  out  i  have  the  kd  tool  dodgeb4ya  has  pictured  .  it  was  given  to  me  a  few  years  ago    by  an  old  geezer  cleaning  out  his  shop  .

i'd  forgotten  it  until  i  saw  one  like  on  the  8n/9n ford  tractor  forum

A little tight but has always got the job done.

I also use the big "C" clamp style compressor too.

Also I always use a pencil magnet next to the keepers when removing so as they don't pop off and go flying.

I have a Sunnen keeper install tool to install those keepers too.

• Thanks 1

I use both these "C" clamp style valve spring tools on MoPar flat heads besides the small spreader/lift type.

Also shown are the two styles of keeper tools...a KD magnetic type and the ar rt Sunnen clip loaded type.

20210105_190044_compress13.jpg

20210105_190332_compress15.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 2

You can also use a 5/8" (or could have been a 9/16") open ended spanner/wrench with modified round washer to lever the spring up then remove the spring collets/keepers.

The round washer needs to be large enough and opened up so it can slide in between the valve and cam follower and is used as a base to level with the spanner.

Edited by maok