Installed Master Cylinder today and hung pedals. Who sells the lock washers?

MarcDeSoto

I found out today on my 48 DeSoto that you need to at least hang the clutch pedal on the shaft before you install the MC.  There is no clearance if you try to install the pedal after.  I installed both pedals, but did not have the C washer locks.  The C washer locks I had fit, but don't snap on, so I guess they are for the brake shoes.  I looked up the part numbers for these washers and saw that there is a 5/8 and a 9/16 washer for the brake shoes.  The MC shaft washers have a different part number, 863481, but no size is given.  Does anyone know where to get these very important lock washers and what size they are?  

The technical name for those in the picture is "E clip".

I am sure you could use snap rings in stead, which might even be preferred.

Snap rings go on and off with special pliers and so are not as easily lost or sprung.

Any bearing supply can hook you up such as Motion Industries. True Value Hardware stores sometimes have bins for E clips and snap rings. Tractor Supply might have them. For my needs the closest is a True Value Hardware but Tractor Supply is usually cheaper.

If you can take the shaft it will be easier.

• Like 1

marc,  when i did my master i could not find any parts store that had the big e clip needed. i was directed by one store to go to this farmer down the road as he did alot of work on big farm machinery. not only did he have that large size, but when i told him it was for my 54 chrysler he gave me a few for free. look for the farm down the road and you may find the part.    capt den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61farnham said:

Not sure on the Desoto but my P15 Plymouth's shaft is "3/4 dia. same as the Ford.

48 Plymouth used the same clip as the DeSoto, part no. 863481.  The illustration shows a C clip rather than an E clip like the Ford pic above, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it snaps in place.  Thanks to all for your input.  Marc.

The same "Horseshoe" clip as used to retain the brake shoes is used on all 1946-54 MoPar car master cylinders.

Push them on in the groove and squeeze the ears tight.

An "E" clip could be used too...just not original style retainer. 

I went to Ace today and found the E clips as shown in the Ford pics above.  They are 3/4" same as Ford.  Ebay price $4.50 each plus $3.65 shipping.  Ace price .55 each!  I thought I may need to buy snap ring pliers at $30, but a little lithium on the clips and I was able to hammer them on.  Pedals aren't going anywhere now!  Another assembly detail completed.  Now I have to connect the business ends of the pedals!  I'll soon see if I can release the clutch.  I was reading about the procedure of bench bleeding the MC.  I don't know if that's important with dry brake lines?  Thanks for your advice on this!.

• Like 1

I don't believe I have ever used snap ring pliers on E clips, I generally use a pair of pliers to squeeze them on, or a hammer to tap them on.

The purpose of bench bleeding the master cylinder is to get the air out of the master cylinder.  The condition of the brake lines are not a factor.   

Is bench bleeding the MC something that should always be done, or can it be done when you bleed it along with the lines?  I tried to connect the brake pedal with the MC today and saw that I need a clevis pin and a clip with a hole in it to connect the brake pedal return spring to.  Hope I can find those parts in my pile!  Those seem like next to impossible parts to buy!  

48 brake pedal 2.jpg