Grounding the Fuel Tank Sender Unit

ChrisMinelli

I’m working on getting all the instruments in my 52 Plymouth to work and after replacing and fiddling with the tank sending unit I grounded it with a jumper wire and the fuel gauge worked like a charm.  The manual seems to think the retaining ring itself is enough of a ground for the unit.  I’ve cleaned and tightened it and I think the tank itself is no longer grounded.  (It’s on my list to replace but until then I’d like a working fuel gauge). 

Is there a place I could run a ground wire to in the trunk?  My initial thought is that I could just ground it to the trunk but I don’t think drilling above the gas tank is a great idea.  Could I run it through the taillight hole and ground it to the frame?  Anyone solved this problem before?  Thanks.  

What is your path to ground?  The shortest path is the best, through the fewest number of mechanical fasteners...for optimum performance, the battery grounded to a starter mounting stud improves cranking speed, and from there a ground strap can be used over to the nearest frame rail to turn it into a buss bar where the sending unit can be grounded ?