Got my 230

Sniper

Got the 230 core engine today.  It's out of a D24 so it has some features the 218 in my Cambridge doesn't.  Mostly electrical stuff on the carb and something electrical mounted on the coil bracket.  Good thing I have a large trash can ?.  It does also appear to have a complete Sisson choke.  I'll post stuff in the classifieds as I remove it and don't need it. 

One thing I specifically asked French Lakes Auto Parts about was did it come with the flywheel,.  I was told yes and I bought it.  As you can see someone will be shipping me a flywheel.

Y'all might remember the gantry crane I built earlier this year.  I was worried it might be undersized.  It didn't even notice it.

Hoisted.jpg

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 11

1951-52 Coronets have the M6 transmissions that's why the electrical accessories and semi hard to find Stromberg carb with the round antistall solenoid on the side.

Probably damaged though?

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Y'all might remember the gantry crane I built earlier this year.  I was worried it might be undersized.  It didn't even notice it.

Nice idea on the crane. Too bad lumber prices are out the wazoo or I'd put one together like this myself. Good luck with the build!

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

1951-52 Coronets have the M6 transmissions that's why the electrical accessories and semi hard to find Stromberg carb with the round antistall solenoid on the side.

Probably damaged though?

Doesn't look damaged, really dirty though.  I might pull it, clean it up, rebuild it with my son since he missed the rebuild on the Cambridge's.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Doesn't look damaged, really dirty though.  I might pull it, clean it up, rebuild it with my son since he missed the rebuild on the Cambridge's.

I've sold all my round black anti-stall solenoids... have only one left...they break easily. Be careful with it!

Also those BXVES-3 Stromberg carbs seem to have loose throttle linkage side lever to throttle shafts...

A lot of times people will try to solder the two together to prevent looseness between the side lever and shaft to prevent erractic idle speeds. 

You might want to look at that too..    good luck with the engine.

32 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Love the gantry! Part of me wants one. 

Well, I learned one thing today using it.  I built it to just clear the cross beams in my garage.  However I may not have built it tall enough to snatch the engine out of the car.  I may have to block it up, use an electric hoist with some pulleys to maximize vertical lift, or both.   We shall see.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 10:09 PM, Sniper said:

Well, I learned one thing today using it.  I built it to just clear the cross beams in my garage.  However I may not have built it tall enough to snatch the engine out of the car.  I may have to block it up, use an electric hoist with some pulleys to maximize vertical lift, or both.   We shall see.

If you only need a few more inches of clearance you can let the air out of the front tires. That will give you 3 or 4 more inches.

9 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Good score! By perchance did you name your gantry Elmer.......?

Not quite that old my friend.  I did tell my son it was going to be a trebuchet when he came over to help me finish the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, vintage6t said:

If you only need a few more inches of clearance you can let the air out of the front tires. That will give you 3 or 4 more inches.

I do have lifting eyes that will screw into where the head bolts are and some chain to replace the rope, so I should pick up a foot or two there.  This we just a quick and dirty lift before the winter storm arrived.  We got about 1 3/4" at the house after several hours of decent rain.  I know not much snow compared to up north, but dang I live far south.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, Sniper said:

Or take the front wheels off the car and put the drums on the ground or on wheel dollies.

• Like 1

I last use a set of my skates for erecting the lift I rebuilt and am installing.  Allowed me to place the runways in the shop but with the ability to jockey them as needed prior to lifting on the column supports.  Once day soon this will be clean and neat....and that will last about one day.  

IMG_3979.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Started the tear down.  I was surprised at how clean it was behind the tappet covers.  Couple of stuck valves though.  My opportunity to show how to loosen them without vice grips or damage to them.  Right now I have penetrating oil on them and am letting them sit .  I'll resume the tear down next week when my son is back. 

20210116_144621.jpg

• Like 2