Dodge Deluxe restoration project

bobdog

Ok,so you want to rebuild and modify it,not restore it.

• Like 1

The search function will cover every aspect of your questions as there has been discussion on every component. Tag the posts you find of interest to follow, make notes, print pages maybe. We like pictures too, so as you progress.....send us all pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are at least three outfits making disc brake conversions. AAJ, scare bird, and one other I don't recall at the moment. I used AAJ, he has brackets for front and rear discs and also to adapt to a tandem master cylinder. 

For the rear axle - consider an 8.8 axle from an older ford explorer w disc brakes (lots of ratios available), or an older jeep cherokee (not the grand model) with an 8 1/4 mopar axle - most are 3.55:1. Advantage to using the ford or mopar axle is you retain the 4.5" on 5 wheel lug pattern.

For a front sway bar look at jeep cherokees (smaller one) search this site for info on that retrofit. 

Consider making a bracket to use either a 70's into 90's mopar or GM 12 volt alternator. Later GM's are nice because they have internal regulators which simplify wiring. If your wire harness is good you can use as is. Otherwise look at a wiring kit with a modern style fuse panel.

You don't have to retrofit the starter, it will turnover the correct direction with negative ground, and as long as you dont crank for extended periods of time will live using 12 volts. The ammeter will need to be reverse wired, (easy), use a runtz resistor for the fuel gauge, if you have a heater you will need to drop the voltage to it or use a 12 volt blower motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the stock look can't really be improved on, however "modern" upgrades can make it more enjoyable to drive. Things I have done to my 1940 Dodge and 1940 Plymouth wagon:

• radial tires
  • front disc brakes
  • turn signals
  • dual carbs with dual exhaust
  • RadioRad for modern tunes
  • larger displacement flathead 
  • overdrive
  • passenger side mirror
  • upgraded rearend (from 4:10 to 3:73)
  • HEI distributor
  • front shock relocation

Things that I plan to do on my current build (1952 Plymouth Suburban):

• 12 volt electrics
  • Automatic transmission w OD
  • Mopar V8
  • HEI distributor
  • Ranger rearend with 3:73 and parking brake
  • A/C
  • Integrated music system w bluetooth (built into the stock dash )
  • multiple speakers
  • lots of sound deadening and insulation
  • air shocks for ride height adjustment
  • electric wipers
  • beefier sway bar
  • front shock relocation

The inside of the the '52 will look period correct. I plan to use original gauges, steering wheel, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is the project.

Thankfully this car has spent the last 49 years sitting inside, and has not succumb to any serious rust issues. Just needs a little TLC. 

Many thanks to all who have commented and have given suggestions. I will be posting updates as soon I get the project started. 

20201230_074610~2.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bobdog said:

This me when I was about 7 years old, we were preparing it for a paint job. 

20201230_205212.jpg

And you still have,and are redoing the same car?

AMAZING!

• Like 1

Yes, this is the same car from I was I kid. Its been a dream of mine to get back on the road. This car has been in my family since 1951, so I will never part with it. Heck, this is the car I learned how to actually drive  a stick. 

• Like 2

Bob,

I'm doing the same thing with my 49 Plymouth, It's basically the same as your Dodge. You can see the last five years of the work on my profile in the albums.

Photo examples helped me a bunch. For general ideas. 

• Like 1

I was able to remove 50 years worth grim and gunk from both sides. Also I sent the starter out to be rebuilt; the gear won't engage. Next week I will be adding front disc and new tires.

20210109_091234.jpg

20210109_091150.jpg

Edited by bobdog
  • Like 2

Congratulations on having kept the car for so long! I got my 1st car ( a 39 chevy Master 85 ) in the early 70s when I was 13 for 350 dollars. I just turned 60 and its still my summer driver (started driving it at 20 yrs old when the restoration was completed )and still its still great! My present project is a 40 Dodge business coupe and more than remember stripping and cleaning the undercarriage and suspension to the point of nicknaming that car "old filthy"! The stock suspension when rebuilt works really well. You can also get radials and direct replacement nitrogen shocks front and rear. For brakes, the stock system works really well and the only thing I would do is get a 2 bowl master cylinder if such a conversion exists. all the best in your endeavours!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’ve got a 47 D24 4Dr my folks bought new. Been played with the last year or so. Im lucky with the rust too. Minimal on this one too. Retirement is coming soon and then I can get it done. For know mainly collecting parts. Engine is done and waiting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobdog said:

Dry fit the new MC today. Next I will running new brake lines.

20210210_183319.jpg

20210210_183339.jpg

Hope you plan on using the copper/nickel brake lines. They don't crack from vibration or bending,and they don't rust inside or outside. The inside rust you can't see is the one that worries me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a quick update on this adapter for a Dodge Deluxe w/ Fuild Drive. Just need to cut a new hatch to access the MC and connect the new brake lines. Take note; the bolt hole near MC was slightly off center. I had to widen the hole about 1 mm to make a perfect fit. This of course might not be the case for everyone, your vehicle might match up perfectly. Just depends on how well the template matches to your vehicle.

20210311_145346.jpg

Edited by bobdog
Correction on cm to mm.
  • Thanks 1

Here is a finished front disc conversation; the new brake line had to get moved to left as to avoid getting pinched. Also found out the original hose bracket screws are self taping. So this made the placement a lot easier to do. 

20210313_184558.jpg

• Like 4