Not so Merry Christmas

knuckleharley

Pretty much been held prisoner in the house for the last 3 weeks due to the flue,but had to go to the credit union today because I couldn't log into my web account,and the temp passwords they were sending me were no help.

I also had to buy more hardboiled eggs and macaroni because they and spiced ham/spiced luncheon loaf have been all I have been able to eat without vomiting.

Ok,so I get back home,park beside my P15 coupe that is parked MAYBE 10 feet from my porch,and notice the glove box door,the glove box,the speaker grille,and the dash trim are all missing.

Some SOB came into my yard and stole it all.

Since,AFAIK,I own the only P-15 within 50 miles,and live up a dirt road with no neighbors within a mile,AND the fact is that I live on a high spot on an island and you either park in my yard when you come to visit,or it will take a crane to get your car out of the mud, that it is a local who is experienced in mechanical work who did it,and he is stealing stuff to sell on the web after seeing "want to buy" adds.

It is also likely to be a local related to or good friends with the people at the resort on the other end of the island because he's not afraid to park in my yard in broad daylight long enough to steal stuff and not worry about someone reporting him.

The Plymouth is literally parked maybe 15 feet from where I am sitting now,and there are NO street lights or outside lights,so I know he isn't stealing it after dark. Besides,there are coyotes,4 different types of poisonous snakes,and a black bear that likes to come through my yard at night.

This is at least the 4th time something has been stolen,but this is the first time it was something I actually cared about.

Bad things might happen to this person if I find out who it is,because it almost HAS to be somoneone that looks me in the face,smiles,and calls me "friend".

I got home just before dark and was too mad to open the trunk and look inside to see if all the new stuff I had bought for the redo had also been stolen.

I will do so tomorrow,and then I will put it all,if there is anything left,in the house or in the shop.

Then I will call the police and report this stuff stolen.

In an ideal world,whoever it is will be caught and sent to jail.

Guess who he is going to see as he walks out the gate.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Sad 3

Knuckleharley,

I hate that happened to you. Whoever it was I hope you catch them. If you have a large dog - let him go to work on them.

Don't get hurt whatever you do. Good Luck and try to have a Happy New Year. 2020 was a bad one. I lost my mom and my dog of 15 years.

Car parts can be replaced. Good people like yourself cannot. Be careful and try to let it be. Forgiveness is how to be forgiven.

Be Safe!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tom Skinner said:

Knuckleharley,

I hate that happened to you. Whoever it was I hope you catch them. If you have a large dog - let him go to work on them.

Don't get hurt whatever you do. Good Luck and try to have a Happy New Year. 2020 was a bad one. I lost my mom and my dog of 15 years.

Car parts can be reClaced. Good people like yourself cannot. Be careful and try to let it be. Forgiveness is how to be forgiven.

Be Safe!

Tom

Can't have a dog. Snakes would kill him.

19 minutes ago, Conn47D24 said:

That just sucks.

Post a list of missing parts so we can all watch ebay, etc.

So far,the glove box door,the glove box,the speaker cover and grille,and the dash cluster chrome.

I will look in the trunk tomorrow AM,but I honestly can't remember what I had stored in there. I do know the new rubber and the new Ron Francis wiring kit are in my shop office,in a filing cabinent drawer.

BTW,the dash painted items are the same green as the car

LeftSide.JPG

Edited by knuckleharley

29 minutes ago, DJK said:

I feel your pain of being violated. Might want to invest in a security camera, they are fairly cheap. Things will get better.

Going to be shopping on ebay tonight.

Kinda guarding the corral after the horse is gone,though.

• Like 1

If I recall, aren't NC residents allowed to carry side arms? Thieves on your private property are bold!

The drug addicts up here lately have been stealing our rural mail compartment boxes. We have to go to a nearby central location to gather our mail and parcels. So far this week two complete units have been stolen on two separate nights. They get everyone's parcels and mail.  The red-circles indicate where the two missing compartments were.

Gets me thinking, I have been to NC. Flew into Rayleigh. Went to Clayton and Sanford. Drove east out to Nag's Head. Kitty Hawk too. Speaking of snakes I recall seeing hunters in a private treed lot. Bear hunting they said. Claimed the bears there don't hibernate. They had thick leather gators on to prevent snake bites in the swamps. They carried side arms to quickly deal with the snakes. Beautiful area you have there @knuckleharley

Canada post.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I absolutely despise people who do s**t like this. I hope you find out who it is but stay safe. Stuff can be replaced but you can’t. 

I am 74 years old and have Stage 4 cancer,and my memory was fried by chemo and radiation.

I don't really have that much to lose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

If I recall, aren't NC residents allowed to carry side arms? Thieves on your private property are bold!

The drug addicts up here lately have been stealing our rural mail compartment boxes. We have to go to a nearby central location to gather our mail and parcels. So far this week two complete units have been stolen on two separate nights. They get everyone's parcels and mail.  The red-circles indicate where the two missing compartments were.

Gets me thinking, I have been to NC. Flew into Rayleigh. Went to Clayton and Sanford. Drove east out to Nag's Head. Kitty Hawk too. Speaking of snakes I recall seeing hunters in a private treed lot. Bear hunting they said. Claimed the bears there don't hibernate. They had thick leather gators on to prevent snake bites in the swamps. They carried side arms to quickly deal with the snakes. Beautiful area you have there @knuckleharley

Canada post.jpg

I was a Special Forces weapons man for 7 years,and ran Special Projects missions into both Cambodia and Laos during the VN war as a member of a 7 man recon team,or a squad leader in an assault platoon. Did that for 15 months before I was medicaved for Agent Orange,which they were calling "chloracne" back then.

I have done a bit of shooting in my time.

And yes,we have both open and concealed carry here. Concealed carry requires a permit,but not open carry.

• Like 4

After my Dad passed away, three different sets of thieves broke into my old shop and his house. I caught one of them in the middle of stealing a truck. The sheriff arrested him and then...crickets.

I had called the sheriff twice reporting the break ins and mentioned I felt like shooting the bastards.

They warned me that was a bad idea.

After they took my tools and bunches of stuff that had value, I realized I had more crap than I'd ever be able to use.

I changed my mindset and decided to down size, dramatically.

It's been a good idea because now I am deciding which projects have merit and which don't.

I am ditching the less promising ones and happily moving forward on the good ones, where I had been doing nothing.

Unfortunately the thieves failed to leave their phone numbers....I wanted many times to call them and say "Hey you forgot something!"

There's never a thief around when you need one.

• Haha 1

The older I get the less I like Humanity. Not people you understand. Humanity. There is always some lying, cheating jackass who feels that only a sucker works for a living and tries to steal what little he has.  I have found Police in general almost useless for robbery. If a gun wasn't stolen, or someone killed or hurt, they don't really care. File a claim with your insurance they tell you. Someone broke into my house 15 years ago and stole a bunch of stuff.  A week earlier my employer was broken into but the thief was caught in the act. Turns out he was a former employee who had gone to drugs  He had gone through the files and thrown them on the floor. Then I was robbed. Gave the Detective(yeah) his info. Never heard a word.  Sorry to hear of the problems you have had. And hope that the thief is sucked into the mud.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

After a break in several years ago I bought  two wireless security cameras that plug into a outlet, one in a shed aimed at my back door and one in the house aimed in a hallway. The main unit is hidden in the garage inside a box. They are motion detection and record everything on a sd card. I have to delete or review the card once a month. Anymore i usually only review if there is a reason. No issues then I just delete everything. A while back I caught some kids sneaking on my property fishing at my pond. They walked past my back door and I caught them on camera. I've caught jehovah's witnesses and honestly I few other people knocking at my back door that I dont know but no other major issues

But if you have been robbed before security cameras will give the police the proof they need. They will also give you some piece of mind. The whole setup was maybe 250 dollars at Sam's club 5 or 6 years ago. Even if the thief sees the camera and steals it also, he will be recorded. The trick is to hide the main unit in a garage, shelf, box etc. So that only you can find it

Good luck and sorry to hear about your experience. 

P.S

If I had to buy a system again I would look for one that would overwrite the sd card once it is full. As time goes on and no issues I am bad at erasing the card. My concern is that if I did have a issue my sd card might be full. 

What a crappy situation. I wonder if those parts weren’t targeted as they seem kind of specific. I would NOT want to cross a fella with your resume Sir : )

Cameras or alarms no doubt were suggested but now it costs you more money and just tell you that someone was indeed there....it’s shitty that people can’t just respect others possessions. 

Sorry about the issue of some non respectful person stealing the items from your car.  I saw the pictures of your car. first question is, Is the car registered as an Antique car and if so who do you have the car insured with?

Most of the companies that deal with antiques car/truck insurance state that the car/truck must be kept in a locked garage and can not be stored under a car port of similar item to protect the car/truck.

So since the car was not stored in the hut that is in front the car I do not think you could even claim the lose onthe antique car insurance plan.  You might want to check your policy. 

I know my antique car insurance required the car to be in a locked garage except when it is on a tour then there is no option to put it in a garage.  Everyone should check their individual policy to make sure their antique is officially covered.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

In the last year my wife has put cameras up to cover all entrances to our house and garage. She gets an alert on her phone each time a camera records something .  I believe it then saves the film although I admit I don’t know where. These are battery operated stand alones 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

10 hours ago, Jeff I indu said:

After a break in several years ago I bought  two wireless security cameras that plug into a outlet, one in a shed aimed at my back door and one in the house aimed in a hallway. The main unit is hidden in the garage inside a box. They are motion detection and record everything on a sd card. I have to delete or review the card once a month. Anymore i usually only review if there is a reason. No issues then I just delete everything. A while back I caught some kids sneaking on my property fishing at my pond. They walked past my back door and I caught them on camera. I've caught jehovah's witnesses and honestly I few other people knocking at my back door that I dont know but no other major issues

But if you have been robbed before security cameras will give the police the proof they need. They will also give you some piece of mind. The whole setup was maybe 250 dollars at Sam's club 5 or 6 years ago. Even if the thief sees the camera and steals it also, he will be recorded. The trick is to hide the main unit in a garage, shelf, box etc. So that only you can find it

Good luck and sorry to hear about your experience. 

P.S

If I had to buy a system again I would look for one that would overwrite the sd card once it is full. As time goes on and no issues I am bad at erasing the card. My concern is that if I did have a issue my sd card might be full. 

Thank you! I did not realize that.  The system my friend is buying for me (I am going to pay him when he delivers it) sends "alerts" to his cell phone. I like that feature. It will allow me to see if it is a human or an animal causing the alert,as well as let me know if any of the humans are carrying long guns so I can be better prepared when I walk out the door. I prefer my Ithaca Deerslayer in 12 guage with the  20 inch barrel and number 2 buck magnum loads for social situations like that. IMHO,handguns are mostly useful for fighting your way to a shotgun or a rifle,so why not start there if you have that option?

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Sorry about the issue of some non respectful person stealing the items from your car.  I saw the pictures of your car. first question is, Is the car registered as an Antique car and if so who do you have the car insured with?

Most of the companies that deal with antiques car/truck insurance state that the car/truck must be kept in a locked garage and can not be stored under a car port of similar item to protect the car/truck.

So since the car was not stored in the hut that is in front the car I do not think you could even claim the lose onthe antique car insurance plan.  You might want to check your policy. 

I know my antique car insurance required the car to be in a locked garage except when it is on a tour then there is no option to put it in a garage.  Everyone should check their individual policy to make sure their antique is officially covered.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Nope,just registed as a regular car. It was,in fact,my daily driver before it caught fire under the hood.

well, to deter the thief with a shotgun one has to be present with said device in hand locked and loaded....I do not think there is a sole in the world treading the shadowed lane of life that does not know the sound of a pump action shotgun chambering a round....this is often the only sound needed to be made...of course stepping out in your back yard once in a while when there are unknowns in the area and pulling off about 5 rounds and yelling you better run you rat bastard does go a long way in deterrence

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of the theft of your stuff, knuckleharley... I don't have a Doberman, but I am also the owner of an Ithaca 37.

.....I should have added, I do have a small dog and although he is not a Doberman, he doesn't know that,  he is extremely alert and an excellent watchdog. If there is any slight noise or anything out of place he is quite vocal (loud)...

Edited by T120
added text