Possible project

cdgrancho

Looking at purchasing a 1950 Dodge B2B PU. Dodge trucks are something I dont know much about so I am doing my research. It needs work but is pretty complete. I am aware of brake  issues, leaking cylinders, wiring and such.The one aspect that is concerning me is the PO, in trying to remove passenger side rear brake drum made a mess of the threads on the end of axle, he beat on the end of axle mushrooming the end a bit. I am concerned that replacing that axle might be a deal breaker. Any insight is welcome

DSCF1524.JPG

Even if the grinding back of the mushroomed section doesn't give you enough good threads, enough owners have upgraded rear differential that someone should have a good axle stockpiled in their collection.  You may decide to upgrade that differential yourself so it then becomes a moot point.

My goal with this project is to clean it up and make it safe to tool around town on a warm summer day. Dont really want to get into the modifying or crazy resto bug. Part of me getting it is to rescue it from the field before it turns to dirt, thanks for the reply.

If the axle shaft is mushroomed, the differential and associated bearings might have some damage as well.  If suitable replacements cannot be sourced, then a modern rear axle swap may be the most cost effective approach.  I have rebuilt rear axles and overhauled brakes on the B-series enough to say that upgrading is a challenge compared to swapping out parts but a competitive alternative...

Obvious it is those fog lights in the front causing the rear end issues ... take them off and send them to me  :D

There is a special tool/puller used to pull the drums off these old tapered axles. You can pick them up, I bought mine from ebay.

A lot of people do swap the rear ends in these old trucks. A 3:73 from a jeep or Ford explorer works well. You would need to replace the spring perches on the axle and a few other things.

Simply because people do swap rear ends, it may not be to hard to source parts or a complete rear end.

I would use the correct tool to remove the drum, access damage and a fair chance you can keep & fix what you have, find spare part or just swap a modern rear end in.

If the price is reasonable, what the pic shows it looks like a good project. Does the motor turn over by hand or is it stuck?

Just saying the truck I bought I paid $1800 for it, was advertised for $2200. I offered $18 on the phone just by the photos provided on the add, then offered $200 if he delivered it on a trailer to my home. He did.

Only thing I regret, is I really wanted a 1949 with 3 on the floor, I ended up with a late 1949 with the 1950 upgrades.

You wont find many fools like me .... This is my 2nd 49, I specifically wanted this year and was willing to pay a lil extra to get it.

While others in facebook market is asking similar prices, a few cheaper deals come up and sell fairly fast.

I plan to also just drive around town with mine, just trying to do needed repairs first and paint is part of repairs. Where it is today.

00D0D_fqe2fzJk5EY_600x450.jpg.2873c9c5bf631f6ae66d0185b6a7be15.jpg

1005201739.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgrancho said:

Because of having to fix PO stuff and the fact it is not running I an looking at an offer of  $500 or there abouts. Like my wife said, I want it but dont need it.

What part of Oregon are you?

and don’t tell her but, she is wrong..... you do need it ?

Rogue river valley near Medford. She who shall be obeyed , is pretty understanding about the need to trinker on stuff. I have and 77 cj7 that is about tinkered out so part of the reason looking at truck. Wife said key to staying together in retirement  is me working in shop on stuff and her dealing with the horses. Red jeep is mine

20170625_122734.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know what the rest of the truck looks like, but the front end looks great.

If the axle shaft is too boogered up to repair, there are replacements to be had or do a jeep cherokee axle replacement.

Either way, I would buy that truck in a heartbeat. Too far North  for me ?

( Do I see a possible factory rear view mirror mount ?)

Siezed motor and boogered rear diff wouldnt bother me at all (now). Just makes the bargaining more in buyer’s favour. Things i have learned so far: 

cheaper to replace entire rear diff(jeep) bonus if it comes with rear disc brakes. 
siezed motor, seems a running flattie is not really hard to find, or a repower with drive line of choice. 
and depending on skill level, front disc brakes arent out of the question, with something like a rusty hope kit. 

I looked at a ‘52 truck that is for sale near me for a heck of a lot more with a bad motor and poor bed. Any of these will be a project, that’s what makes it “fun” IMO, all of the dreams while you work on them. You will appreciate what you have so much more when finished. Best of luck!

680E364B-1301-4AC5-A9F5-03668C5EB9D2.jpeg

59AB2F6D-3EDF-4961-AFE2-BE60A2A64AF7.jpeg

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

8 minutes ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

I looked at a ‘52 truck that is for sale near me for a heck of a lot more with a bad motor and poor bed. Any of these will be a project, that’s what makes it “fun” IMO, all of the dreams while you work on them. You will appreciate what you have so much more when finished. Best of luck!

680E364B-1301-4AC5-A9F5-03668C5EB9D2.jpeg

59AB2F6D-3EDF-4961-AFE2-BE60A2A64AF7.jpeg

5 window, front grille and lights intact, a little rust repair. Thats a nice starting point. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update on possible project, got engine to turn over freely with hand crank so made the deal and used my Kabota to lift rear end, no passenger wheel, and pushed it home. Sitting on lift and working on rear end first, new axle, brakes bearings seals, brake lines and such. Thanks to all that weigh in with advice. I am sure will need more.

resized.jpg

• Like 4