Oil leaking from behind crank pulley

TylerB46

So I’ve been working on this truck for awhile now, the engine is freshly rebuilt with all new gaskets. It had a leak a while back coming from the front of the oil pan and Ive since fixed that. Now I’ve noticed that while the engine is running oil is being slung in a line following the crank pulley across the whole cross member. Like I mentioned earlier it has all new gaskets and a new oil seal. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you

P.S. Can someone tell me where the blue gasket ring in that pic goes? 

AE0C103B-228C-4B3A-9D08-E797D17F21E9.png

are you allowing the timing cover to establish the centric position of the seal to the crank...the new seal is pressed into the cover..the cover fitted loosely to the block...the seal lubed along with lube on the damper and then the damper placed in position...this will allow proper centric position as the cover is floating loosely...now you can tighten the cover down.  Another scenario is a buggered crank with a worn groove that will not allow the seal to seat proper and will need a sleeve affixed.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

are you allowing the timing cover to establish the centric position of the seal to the crank...the new seal is pressed into the cover..the cover fitted loosely to the block...the seal lubed along with lube on the damper and then the damper placed in position...this will allow proper centric position as the cover is floating loosely...now you can tighten the cover down.  Another scenario is a buggered crank with a worn groove that will not allow the seal to seat proper and will need a sleeve affixed.  

I did not know that, I’ll do that and hopefully that’ll fix the issue, the crank should be okay since it’s freshly machined, but I’ll check it to make sure it’s good. Thank you for the good info.

1 minute ago, Tooljunkie said:

Seal race is on the damper. It may be grooved. A repair sleeve can be installed on it. 
suck that pan has to come off to get at 1 timing cover bolt. 

Yes it does, it really does. Think it may be worth just checking out the damper before I fool with taking the cover off?

Does the oil leak look like it is coming from the back side or front side of the damper pulley?  Reason I ask is because when I was assembling up my freshly machined short block I think I may have found another possible oil leakage path in this area.  Seems to me if the mating surface of the nose of the pulley hub with the face of the timing sprocket is not exact, oil could get between them and and find a path along the shaft keyway and out at the very end of the crank shaft.   Granted there is a slim chance of this since the nut and washer is very tight but a chance none the less.  I smeared the front of the timing sprocket and the very end of the crankshaft with gasket sealer before assembly.  Also as stated above, if the  OD of your damper hub is grooved an item called Speedisleeve is available to repair.  I had to use one and it worked great.  Regards.

Further to my last:   The title of your original post answers my question "Oil leaking from behind crank pulley".  They say at my age Memory and reading comprehension are the second and third things to go.  Hope the information above may be useful anyway.  Also, if you do have to use a speedisleeve, use some gasket sealer when installing the sleeve on the hub.  Regards

46 minutes ago, squirebill said:

Does the oil leak look like it is coming from the back side or front side of the damper pulley?  Reason I ask is because when I was assembling up my freshly machined short block I think I may have found another possible oil leakage path in this area.  Seems to me if the mating surface of the nose of the pulley hub with the face of the timing sprocket is not exact, oil could get between them and and find a path along the shaft keyway and out at the very end of the crank shaft.   Granted there is a slim chance of this since the nut and washer is very tight but a chance none the less.  I smeared the front of the timing sprocket and the very end of the crankshaft with gasket sealer before assembly.  Also as stated above, if the  OD of your damper hub is grooved an item called Speedisleeve is available to repair.  I had to use one and it worked great.  Regards.

The leak I’m having is coming from the back of the damper, when the engine is running I can see that the back of the damper is soaked, and if any throttle is applied it’ll sling oil all the way to the passenger side tire. Thank you for the info, especially the name of the sleeve. I’m gonna start taking things back apart today, hopefully the issue is obvious.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

on reassembly, you did correctly position the oil slinger/deflector...

I had the oil pan off once before this, because I saw some metal shavings. Turns out the slinger was getting chewed by the timing chain so I took the slinger out. I believe this leak I’m having now is because the oil seal got a little damaged by the slinger.