Where does this bracket go?

Redmond49

Is the picture in the parts book saying that this "reinforcement" goes between the clutch housing bracket and the body of the bell housing? This seems odd to me, since I did not take the bell housing off the motor when I took it to the rebuilder, yet I have this loose "reinforcement" piece.

Any pointers on this?

PXL_20201226_003212966.jpg

Helped me a lot.  I have two of these floating around in a parts box somewhere because I didn't know where they belonged on the  '49 Suburban.  The engine and clutch was disassembled by the previous owner and in parts when I bought it.  This  part is not pictured in my Service manual or Parts manual. Thanks and Regards.

I also got my car as a basket case, w/ the engine all in pieces.  I was missing both of these "reinforcements" (they look like spacers to me), and also the brackets that reinforce the connection between the block & the bell housing.  Not knowing that I was missing anything, I reassembled w/o them.  Later got a parts car w/ a blown engine (hole in the side of the crank case), so I have these pieces now.  It doesn't make sense to me why they designed it to require these spacers at all.

Edited by Eneto-55

There could be variations in the geometry of the formed part that would not allow for the holes to line up on the block...these variations could be caused by the blank being misaligned in the forming dies, resulting in the critical bend being out of tolerance...rather than punch slots in the formed part blanks (aka retooling) or having a high discard rate on formed parts, a shim is added on the bellhousing to increase formed part yields...these reinforcements are not even used on truck motors, so who knows if they are even needed ?

I'm guessing an engineering ooops.  I worked in the engineering department at a OEM for aircraft support equipment .  Parts called "spacers" or "shims" etc were frowned upon .  Indicated the mating parts weren't properly dimensioned and required spacers or shims.  Guessing if you called the spacer or shim a "reinforcement" that would be warranted and OK.