Noticed the Plymouth prices on eBay lately?

Loren

If you get in at the right price....do your own work and can refurb instead of NOS replacemnts..also not count the time as part of recoup but an investment only for the sake of keeping one's sanity and joy of the hobby...you may make a dollar here and there.....farm segments of it out and you are almost immediately upside down financially....I saw Nicks wry humor...but I could also envision the scorn on his dad's brow as he has a lot more invested besides a bit of time...

I follow another car group on facebook. One of the members alerted us to an auction on Bring a Trailer for some wheels. Four nice and rare (in this country) wheels. I happen to have a set I was going to use on my first car of that marque when I get around to restoring it.

Well the online auction closed today....$5,000 was the winning bid!

To tell you the truth I wouldn't give that much for those wheels if there was a running car attached!

Hmm I think I am doing this car hobby all wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I follow another car group on facebook. One of the members alerted us to an auction on Bring a Trailer for some wheels. Four nice and rare (in this country) wheels. I happen to have a set I was going to use on my first car of that marque when I get around to restoring it.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't give that much for those wheels if there was a running car attached!

Hmm I think I am doing this car hobby all wrong.

Say what you will about the Covid economy there are still some folks out there with a lot of money to spend

Maybe one way to make a half decent buck off an old Moapr might be to part it out?  Over 2 years ago I made an offer on a '49 straight 8 NY'r. Sunk up to the axles. I figured I'd sell the exhaust manifold and break even. 

The guy refused my offer. Too low he said.  He "had other hot buyers in waiting". It'll be 3 years this summer that the car is still there, sinking deeper. I see it every time I drive by. My offer now would be ½ of what it was a few years ago. Make me make the 35 minute trip 3X will ya?

Found a pic of it!

IMG_2879.JPG

Edited by keithb7

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Hmm I think I ac doing this car hobby all wrong.

I love that web site. i especially love reading the comments on the auctions from other readers who used to own identical cars.

Seems like I see something every time I open a email from them with new auctions that I have never seen before.

Sometimes I see stuff I have never even heard of before. All with great pictures and great commentary from others who used to own one about what owning and driving one is like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Say what you will about the Covid economy there are still some folks out there with a lot of money to spend

There is ALWAYS someone with plenty of money to spend to buy property for a penny on the dollar.

They are usually the same people that caused the economic crash.

Been that way since the dawn of time.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Maybe one way to make a half decent buck off an old Moapr might be to part it out?  Over 2 years ago I made an offer on a '49 straight 8 NY'r. Sunk up to the axles. I figured I'd sell the exhaust manifold and break even. 

The guy refused my offer. Too low he said.  He "had other hot buyers in waiting". It'll be 3 years this summer that the car is still there, sinking deeper. I see it every time I drive by. My offer now would be ½ of what it was a few years ago. Make me make the 35 minute trip 3X will ya?

Found a pic of it!

IMG_2879.JPG

Looking at the house it doesn’t seem a bit out of place

• Like 1

For me, it's not about how much the car is worth.  It's all about the enjoyment of driving and working on an old car and marveling at how the folks back 70 years ago made things work with the technology of the day.  I appreciate totally restored classic cars and even modified rides, but am not generally attracted to them for purchase.  I prefer to buy decent project cars as close to original as possible and do the work myself, even if it takes several years.  Buying a car that someone else has restored or heavily modified from original takes a lot of the fun out of it, at least for me.  That being said, I do appreciate the work others do on their cars, whichever way they decide to go.  As far as pricing goes, if I see a car for sale that I really like and it's local, I'm generally willing to spend a little more towards the high side of market value as long as the seller isn't smoking crack and asking a ridiculous amount of money.  Of course, your mileage may vary...

I rarely drive the cars I like to drive.

I value my driving privilege too much!

Jay Leno never fights a ticket, he just pays the fine.

I can't do that! I will say he has some of the cars I like and have.

I am like Howard Hughes...He loved Plymouths!

Not a race car with a license plate but nice to drive within their place.

Comfortable and reliable. Perfect for me!

• Like 1