Steering Gear Box Questions

keithb7

Keith, good call on the Dyke's manual. I bought the 1945 edition on ebay for 7 dollars and it's been excellent reading. I finally understand how generator voltage regulators function, on a detailed level. This helped me replace wiring not only on my 50 plymouth but on my 59 Austin which has a very different Lucas 5 wire regulator. Great find!

@61farnham

Simon thanks for this info. Very helpful. I think I should source my own Hollander book. 

I’m questioning if my steering gear box is not what is typically listed in ‘38 Plymouths. According to my Dyke’s book I have a slightly newer version. Mine has an external adjustment screw for the sector gear and shaft. Typically 1938’s used shims on the sector shaft for adjustment.  This why I suspect I have the gearboxes typically listed under 41 or so Plymouth listings. 

Edited by keithb7

Is there a part no. on the box? 

According to the Hollander Plymouth used different boxes for the following years -

'37-'38 Mopar no.     667206

'39         "          "        691320

'40                              854134

'41                               867826  

'42-48                        953369

36 minutes ago, 61farnham said:

Is there a part no. on the box? 

According to the Hollander Plymouth used different boxes for the following years -

'37-'38 Mopar no.     667206

'39         "          "        691320

'40                              854134

'41                               867826  

'42-48                        953369

The gear box housing is stamped 666389. A Canadian build so that may make a difference compared to what your Hollander book states. i have noticed some differences in the parts book that I have. Different parts used depending on if Can or USA built cars. I've got some parts coming. We shall learn what transpires here soon enough. I also sourced a Hollander Interchange book for the period. Its in the mail. 

Edited by keithb7

That no.'s not listed but I've just cross referenced the '42-'48 no. with my P15 parts book and realised that the no's quoted in the Hollander are for the complete steering box assembly, the housing body has a separate part no. not sure which one is stamped on the housing. As usual with old cars it's not straight forward.

My Hollander Exchange book arrived today. Wow. Lots of good info in there. Mine’s dated 1950. 

I’d recommend it you are a Mopar geek. Fixing your own cars. 

E0ABBBC0-C12B-450F-9E38-F2D716AE42C4.jpeg

47 minutes ago, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

Keith,

Does the Hollander Manual work ok with your Canadian car?

If I remember correctly, when I looked into getting 1 it didn’t cross over with my 50.

Thanks for checking.

Neil

(Also, great videos)

Doh! Never thought of that. I suppose thru trial and error I’ll find out. I have a pretty good array of technical and parts books for my ‘38. This one supplements them. 

I’ll cross reference things and find out. 

My Ford car steering Gearbox parts arrived. Looks like a perfect fit.  I went with C&G Early Ford Parts based in Escondido Calif. Shipped Monday. At my door step in Canada 2 days later.  I was pleasantly surprised. 

Both the Fords and my ‘38 Ply have Gemmer boxes. Not exactly the same housings and fit, however internal parts, gaskets etc appear identical.  Laying them out side by side now. Looks good!

I used the 6th Edition Motors Manual, and my Hollander Interchange books to do this detective work. Rolled the dice a bit too. 

8172D561-F313-4F80-9DC6-550AA61F7153.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just do not the supplier that it fits if all goes well, the price will triple for Mopar parts as they advertise online as such! ? ?

DJ

• 1 month later...

I just took apart the box for my 47 truck. The threads for the steering wheel are buggered but I thought I better make sure the rest is good before I tackle the bad threads(part of me was hoping the whole thing was bad so I could start over). It appears the guts are in pretty decent shape except for being a leaker with no fluid coming out. 

IMG_20210307_125641.jpg

IMG_20210307_140252.jpg

IMG_20210307_140324.jpg

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, DavidJose1 said:

Is there a later steering box we can upgrade to?

Not a bolt in.  The steering column shaft is one piece from worm gear inside the box to the nut under the horn button.

Sounds like a good time to cut some stuff lol! I think I can cut, add a different end and weld and put a coupler then, even if I have to mix two shafts! I wonder if a later manual box would do the trick or if I should just go all the way with the other type rack and pinion