V8 Upgrade for '52 Suburban

Bob Riding

I just scored a rebuilt small block Mopar 360 V8 for my '52 Suburban project. Sold the P20 to a fellow Plymouth owner who needed it for his woodie, so I can now concentrate on mocking up the engine, steering, etc. Since I am a novice regarding V8's and have only worked with flathead 6s for all my projects, I would appreciate the wisdom of our crowd. As a start, my brother-in-law, who used to have a car restoration business in Clovis, suggested replacing the stock cast-iron intake with an aluminum one and install a Holly or Weber 4bbl carb. I will not be racing the wagon- it's got 3:73 gears and the 360 has a mild cam, and will be mated up to a GM 2004R OD transmission, which should be good for cruising and ice cream runs with the grandkids. The engine was rebuilt to stock, except for the cam, so I should get approx 250hp. Thoughts?

IMG_1466 (1).jpeg

stick with cast iron...it is a proven consistent runner for the street and that occasional strip run...and same with the logs....if you running stock the cam is set up for cast iron even if factory performance with the split duration....if however you want to run headers and change the intake...the cam needs changed to gain the benefit of the better breathing and recoup your outlay of cash......keep in mind that the horsepower gain in on the upper end of the rpm with the cam change and you loose 20-30 HP where you operate on the street.....if you just want the 4 bbl, again cast iron is very adequate and you choice will now be what carb to run...personally, I would go with the TQ....set it up once it stays tuned like forever....but don't expect it to be right out of the box...or from the factory either...they had to detune a bit for emissions..I just looked again, you set up for the TQ now...and if you have a center dump on the right side....you win win already as this appear to be truck logs....they are very adequate...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

It really depends on the aftermarket intake being considered.  The low end versions, like the Performer, aren't really any better than the stock intake, other than being lighter.  With a mild cam you don't need the fancier intakes, like the Performer RPM,or Airgap.  With a cruiser like you plan I'd not fool with any hot rod additions, just get it in and running then if you decide you need more then you can make a plan.  But once you start adding go fast goodies it will snowball, that new intake will need a hotter cam and that will require a better exhaust, etc.  If I was going to do one thing in your case it would be put a better exhaust on it, everything will benefit from that even an otherwise stock engine.

As for the carb, I had a mild 360 (basically added the 340 cam in it) I swapped into my 87 Diplomat, I ran the stock iron 4bbl intake and put an Edelbrock 1406 carb on it, 600 cfm electric choke.  Ran real good.  2.94 rear gear, A833 4 speed (no OD) I would get low 20's for mileage on the highway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's wise to set up the motor with the existing intake and either an Edelbrock or TQ carb and see how I like it. No need to spend the Christmas account down unnecessarily on go-fast gewgaws ...yet. I will post progress pictures. Next is to mock it up and install motor mounts.:)

22 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I'm curious as to your transmission choice.  Why not a Mopar OD?

Good question. I am using a rebuilt GM 200 4R, that I bought a few years ago to use with the P20 motor that I was planning to use in the Suburban. An all-Mopar build would have been cool, though. I also have the Wilcap adapter to connect the two. I know- it's a bit of a mixed marriage 

IMG_1446.jpeg