1946 truck engine in a ‘50 dodge?

50BusiCoupe

Ok I tried a little searching and seems it should work. So here is the details. 

I bought a 1950 dodge wayfarer business coupe. Motor was stuck for some oil down the cylinders now rotates about 15-20 degrees. I found an engine near me and bought it. Both have the 23” head and 8 bolt crank. Turns out the engine I bought is out of a military ambulance. Distributor cap is all different. Can I use the oil pump and distributor plus oil pan from my car engine? Or are there some unforseen issues that I don’t know about? 

Edited by 50BusiCoupe

Military spec engines have different ignition, charging maybe 24v, water proof distributers, seals oil filler, positive crank venting etc. But most of your accessory stuff should swap over.   Might want to chat up the truck guys on the pilothouse forum to get their input

7 hours ago, 50BusiCoupe said:

Ok I tried a little searching and seems it should work. So here is the details. 

I bought a 1950 dodge wayfarer business coupe. Motor was stuck for some oil down the cylinders now rotates about 15-20 degrees. I found an engine near me and bought it. Both have the 23” head and 8 bolt crank. Turns out the engine I bought is out of a military ambulance. Distributor cap is all different. Can I use the oil pump and distributor plus oil pan from my car engine? Or are there some unforseen issues that I don’t know about? 

Yes. For the military application they have a waterproof distributor. The oil pump has an offset tang so that the distributor can only go in one way. This is different from the civilian model. So if you swap the distributor for the civilian type, you have to swap the oil pump as well. As far as oil pan, just be sure to get your orientation correct (thick part in back vs in front) if it is different on the car. If it's a 230, it's probably already oriented correctly (thick part in back I do believe) You may have trouble shutting the hood if it has the original carb with the snorkel like air filter. It takes up a lot of space. You can swap to a standard carb no problem. You can set these engines up with your standard 6v setup just like a car after you swap the distributor. Provided you already have a generator, starter, voltage regulator, and ignition coil it should be pretty straightforward. and you will have to use the car front engine mount. That's about all I can think of off the top....

• Like 1

The engine is disassembled looks as if the cylinders have been honed or bored as there is no ridge at the top at all. I don’t have the intake or exhaust manifolds so that would be swapped over from my engine. Has new rings, bearings in boxes I have to measure everything and check figment yet. 

On the point of reselling. I’m sure someone doing a good resto probably would like to have the truck numbered block still painted in green. I want to get my engine out and measured. And have at least one running before  decide. I figured the cam and crank is at the minimum worth what I paid if that’s all I use.  But ideally it would be nice to drop a complete engine in and fire it up. 

Edited by 50BusiCoupe
  • Like 1