Christmas Star

Plymouthy Adams

Well, I have seen what has not been for 800 years....what they are calling the Christmas star.....Jupiter and Saturn....side by side....was ok by naked eye but quite different with the binoculars.  Get a chance, look up into the night sky....for me, it is SW about 28 +/- degrees above the horizon...

We checked it out last night. Clear cool night on the coast starting with a beautiful sunset!  Was hoping to be able to see Saturns rings with my binoculars but could only pick out some of the moons around Jupiter. If you can get to a telescope it's worth the effort. If you check YouTube for will find a couple streams of telescope images live.  Just do a search .

Last night we got the Christmas part, but not the Star portion.

we had heavy cloud coverage. It snowed over a foot here yesterday, well into the evening. The first sizable dump of the year. Any systems on my snow removal equipment that needed attention, all showed up to ring-in the new season. A few cuss words, some skinned knuckles and and about 3 hours later, we got all the snow dealt with.  This morning I expected to see a 2 foot high windrow at the front of my driveway from the road plow. The plow never came last night. I most certainly will be dealing with said windrow today.

Maybe tonight I can view the aligned planets? Will this occur again for a few nights?

Edited by keithb7

I feel you folks pain in having snow dumped......snow is for kids and romantic women....seldom do the two have to deal with it at the level most men do....if you folks recall, snow removal was the last thing that our boy Norm coupe did....another member long gone and missed, his ability to take a ribbing is unsurpassed by any member here today...his round trip from the garage to the curb and back was hilarious...

Very dark here now. Cloud coverage again. No line of sight. Oh well. I missed it 400 years ago too.  800 years again before they line up as close again? Try and imagine what life on this planet might be like in another 800 years. If there's anything left here to support life.

I read somewhere that they say it was the middle ages the last time the two planets were close. Maybe not as close as they are now.  Let's go back to the middle ages. Think about what they might have guessed the year 2020 may look like. Lol. Internet? Chatting with Mopar fanatics from around the world instantaneously? A novel virus spreading rampant. People glued to cell phones walking into poles...Some serious changes. We are indeed all but a spec of sand through the hour glass of time.

Now at this time, the most important little insignificant thing I need to do, in my limited time here on earth is clear snow.

Edited by keithb7

I checked it out on the evening of the 21st, and it was as described: two steady, white lights, with a tiny amount of black space between them, about 35 degrees up from the horizon and in the SW sky. If you held a dime sideways, at the end of your arm, that is how close the two white lights were to each other. After spending about three minutes looking at it, got back in the car to go home, as it was too cold out to gawk anymore. 

Too overcast here for any viewing at all.

OTOH it never snows here below 3000’ and I live below 1000’

It has actually snowed lightly here, twice in 46 years, but melted within hours.

Mrs Ulu, puttering in the garden yesterday.

E3724168-40A1-4BE2-A260-529E37697751.jpeg.72ba39da60ce25b69c5246c59ce31761.jpeg

Edited by Ulu