1948 Dodge carb. question

Nigel Bailey

Hi all, my Aussie spec 1948 Dodge D25 (standard Canadian 'long block' 218) is currently running a Stromberg carb, which I'm perfectly happy with, although a Carter BB (pic attached) did come with the car. The Carter is marked as a C6J1, which I believe was late 1930's Plymouth 201, whereas I think mine would have originally been a D6G1. Would a C6J1 work on my car (it is in standard tune, no mods), or should I be looking for a D6G1? Any light thrown on the complex (to me anyway!) world of Carter carbs for my car would be most helpful. I have removed the front panels for better access as I prepare the old girl for life back on the road-I'm right on the limits of my skillset here and appreciate all the great advice on this forum! Cheers,

Nigel

Carb.png

Dodge work.png

Hi Nigel, I'm in Brisbane as well, I have '37 Dodge with probably the same 25" 218 which I just recently converted over to the 32/36 weber (style...lol) downdraft. Working well so far, though running a little rich.

The C6J1 may run a little lean but should be ok imo. Does it have have an adjustable main jet?

Thanks-I'm pretty sure my Carter carb has a fixed main jet. Good to hear there's another old mopar running around locally. Cheers,

Nigel 

Being a hotrodder I would use either the weber carby or the old standby here in Oz the single barrel Bendix Stromberg, ex 186/202 Holden....easier to find and a bolt on..........this one was on the 41 Plymouth when purchased, went fine............andyd  

IMG_1361.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, good to see some Aussies on here, I am from bribie island so pretty close to you guys from Brisbane.

Funnily enough I moved up here from grafton just before covid took off in April, so I lived about 5km from south grafton where Andy is from!

I have a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook which I am slowly modding, I am very new to the old car scene so will keep a close eye on posts. hope to see you guys around :-)