Where to buy new radiator? 1950 Deluxe

Knaveofdarts

Hey all, I got my craigslist find P20 running, but the radiator has at least 5 separate cracks that I have JB weld on for now and they're still squirting.

The only ones I see for sale are on ebay, Champion Cooling 3 Row All Aluminum Radiator CC52PLY Chrysler,Dodge,Plymouth,Pon | eBay

I don't love the look of a welded aluminum radiator, but for the price it will do. Do I have any other options? ( i checked andy bernbaum but i did not see any radiator listed) I suppose NOS steel and copper are too much to hope for. As is finding a competent radiator shop that could braze on a new top tank.

I suppose i could paint the ebay aluminum radiator black so it is less offensive to mine eyes.

4 hours ago, Knaveofdarts said:

Hey all, I got my craigslist find P20 running, but the radiator has at least 5 separate cracks that I have JB weld on for now and they're still squirting.

The only ones I see for sale are on ebay, Champion Cooling 3 Row All Aluminum Radiator CC52PLY Chrysler,Dodge,Plymouth,Pon | eBay

I don't love the look of a welded aluminum radiator, but for the price it will do. Do I have any other options? ( i checked andy bernbaum but i did not see any radiator listed) I suppose NOS steel and copper are too much to hope for. As is finding a competent radiator shop that could braze on a new top tank.

I suppose i could paint the ebay aluminum radiator black so it is less offensive to mine eyes.

4 hours ago, Knaveofdarts said:

Welcome to the "adventure"!

Everytime you think you are starting to get ahead of the game,WHAM!

Been a while since I last needed radiator work, but at that time there were still a number of local shops in the area that could do most anything from new core to major repair on the tanks. Have you asked around your local area for a good radiator shop?

I personally prefer to give my business to locals if I possibly can even if it costs a little more.

I bought a champion 3 row off of ebay about a year ago for my 49 chrysler royal. I had to redrill a couple of holes to make it fit but it was easy to measure since my old radiator was out at the same time. I looked at having my original radiator repaired but the radiator shop consensus was that they could fix my leaks but it would just pop more leaks due to age. So for 200 bucks the champion radiator was a easy choice. I think it looks good and if you dont like the chrome look you can paint it black. I look forward to years of no radiator leaks. 

Thanks all for the input! I called Andy B but they had none for the '50. I ordered the Champion 3 row off ebay for $207, and I'll probably paint it black.

If you decide to paint it black, use a primer that is designed for aluminum.  Priming is just replacing an undesirable surface with a surface that is desirable for the paint being used. Many primers do not work well on aluminum that goes through heat cycles like a radiator.

• Like 2