Gear lever 1st, reverse position

Bryce Mcclintock

Hi guys ,I have a problem my 52 Plymouths column change lever wont hold at the 1st or reverse position ( close to steering wheel ) when either gear is selected . Once either gear is selected it will sping back to the 2nd or 3rd position ,ive studied the manual but with this car being NewZealand new it was built right hand drive so linkage system is different to any thing i can find .it still uses rods to select gears but uses a cable conennected to bottom of the column selector shaft to switch between banks of gears . I cant see anything that will stop the gear lever moving from the bank selected is this normal ? Or should it be locked in from inside gearbox ? 

Mine is left hand drive but, when I select 1st gear and let go of the lever it does go toward the dash. Basically it passes through the neutral gate so all that is required to do to select second gear is to slight pressure toward the dash while pushing

the lever straight up. And for third straight down.to shift from reverse, there needs to be some pressure towards the steering wheel to select first in stead of straight down which selects third.  I believe this is normal for Mopars as opposed to the deliberate act of finding the neutral gate going through iit then selecting 2nd or 3rd. Like on Ford and gm models.  I find it preferable to the cumbersome H motion required by the lesser brands.  Unless you gears are falling out of position before you want them too, I believe it is normal.

• Thanks 1